Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:04 PM   #1

Default Toys for Tots pageant

This is my niece Hannah after a benefit pageant held by the Police for Toys for Tots.

Sony A550 Minolta 85mm f/1.4 at f/2

I am not really comfortable with flash photography as of yet but should have probably used it for these shots.

The image has been re-sized only with no pp or crop

What do you think?

Steve
Attached Images

Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:41 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Cute girl in a captivating pose!

From a technical standpoint, parts of the image are a tad blurry (upper and lower parts of the sash, tiara, etc). The shadow on the left eye also makes it looks like she has a bruised eye. Finally, I also find the background to be a bit distracting. Sorry for being so critical...but then this is the Photo Critique thread!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:25 PM   #3

She's a queen indeed. Beautiful. I agree with jelpee. And yes, here you really need at least some soft fill flash to get the most of the pick and avoid those harsh shadows.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:43 PM   #4

Something like this (poor simulation of fill flash on the face; the strong neck shadow would have implied too much work, lol).

And a last detail: check the simmetry of the crown. Chicks ar very demanding about such beauty issues.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:12 PM   #5

I like what you did with the simulated fill flash. I think this would have been a great time for me to have used an off camera flash aimed up for that shadow and would have given a bit of life to her hair.

I had real problems with the lighting. This was done at the High School auditorium and the kids working on their Saturday were not happy about it and the lighting suffered. You managed to recapture the skin tones and textures that my shot was lacking.

jelpee: critique away. That is why I put it here. I am weak in my post processing skills and as Ordo demonstrated the image can be made much better in post. I saw the shot that I wanted and am a bit disappointed in myself that I did not have the technical chops to get the capture that I was seeing. Gotta learn how to use my flash

Thank you for your input thus far

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote