Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:52 PM   #1

Default What do you think of this photo editing style?

I took this photo yesterday afternoon. The photo was a Raw image, so I did the normal adjustments and saved the photo as a JPEG.

Then I opened the photo back up and adjusted the levels, the contrast (a large amount), I also lightened the photo quite a bit, saturated the heck out of it and then sharpened the daylights out of the photo.

What I came up with I really like. So does my wife and a bunch of my friends. In fact, some people have told me the photo actually looks like a painting.

(The photo is of a Railroad bridge and the muddy flood waters of the river that flows under it. That is why the brownish tint to the water.)

Please let me know what you think of my "creativity".

Dick
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:07 PM   #2

Well Richard, in my opinion it looks a little out of focus, I am sure your editing cleaned it up a bit but it is hard to use effects to cover mistakes like that. However I am sure you could retake it and gain some clairty by a sharper shot on the bridge. Also I would probably eliminate the branches on the left as they might have interfeared. Perhaps your focus was on the water instead of the bridge (which I am assuming was the main point of taking the picture) thanks for shareing. Frank
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments Frank. I couldn't move any more to the right to get rid of the trees because I was standing on the edge of the dike just inches from the raging flood waters of the river.
The original photo is perfectly in focus. I just checked that after reading your post. To be absolutely truthful I really don't know what I did to the photo to get it to come out like it did. It went from a crisp normal style photo to the surreal painting like photo it is now.
I kind of like the way it turned out because it is such a dramatic difference from my normal photos.

Here is the EXIF for the photo:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Image Date: 2010-12-12 14:59:21 -0800
Focal Length: 55.0mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
ISO equiv: 800
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (Manual)
Color Space: Adobe RGB (1998)

Dick
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:00 PM   #4

Hummmm that is interesting, I would suspect that over sharpening would have a dramatic effect, especially at that high of an ISO. Try doing the same to another pic, (it doesn't matter which one, preferably one with the same ISO, using close to the same technique), and see if it was in the post processing sharpening. Also I have found that too much added contrast will give it a wierd look after PP. You could experiment a little trying first the sharpening, then the contrasting and see which one (or both) are doing this. Then try the same processing with a pic shot with 100-200 ISO. See if you get the same results...Perhaps someone else here has input to help you in finding the specific answer, I do however kind of like the end result as well. Cheers to ya, Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Dec 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spellllling
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:44 PM   #5

Nice...too bad you couldn't get rid of the branches on the left...and that it was cloudy outside ! A blue sky would've been much prettier...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:50 PM   #6

Your "creativity" has me baffled. What is your subject? Weather conditions are what they are and you cant control the weather so thats nothing to complain about. If the bridge is your subject, why have you got it half covered in branches? Since Im completely baffled, could you tell me what you think about your "creativity"?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote