Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:18 AM   #1

Default Berry Bliss?

Hello friends

I took a macro photo of a youngberry from the cane in my back yard, trying to give an impression of 'a berry on the plant, ready to be picked and popped into your mouth'.

However I'm not sure I've captured the effect? I took a few photos further away, also including other berries in alternative compositions, but this one I really wanted to focus on one berry.

Does it work for you? Or if not, please suggest your thoughts, ideas.

Cheers

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:15 AM   #2

I think you should look into focus stacking. Its similar in process to HDR but you do a bunch of focus shots and then use software like Helicon Focus to stack the shots and end up with one shot that has a depth of field you choose. In this case just the one main berry should all be in focus.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:38 AM   #3

Thanks for your thoughts, Bynx - much appreciated.

Yes, I've heard of focus stacking... and so maybe it's time to start dabbling in that (I, like you, really enjoy good HDRs - often brings out so much more detail and 3D feeling). I prefer the conservative / natural look; rather than 'overdone'!

Hmmm... will have to look up Helicon Focus. When you do focus stacking, do you adjust the focus manually - or select a new AF point? I can do more accurate manual focus with my macro lens than I could before, so I'm guessing that's probably the way to go (turn the focus ring a bit each time).

Cheers again!

Paul
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:43 AM   #4

Paul,
I do see what bynx is referring to and although I am not qualified to help, I am sure he has covered it with his suggestion I can however tell you that if I was really close to you during the shot, you may have been missing the subject matter of your pic cause that looks JUCIE!!! _Great color and detail_ Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Dec 28, 2010 at 6:46 AM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:59 AM   #5

Hi Paul,
Well it certainly looks very appetizing to me.
I have never heard of What Bynxy said, the focus stacking, but it sounds like a great idea and a very useful bit of software, to be able to control the dof in the finished article would be amazing. I guess you could do that in photoshop with layers and the eraser tool. It's a great idea.
I like it and am now off to the kitchen to look for some tinned fruit, nice detail.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:13 AM   #6

Here is an excellent explanation of focus stacking.
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Foc...nique-93889220
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:54 AM   #7

Thanks Bynx for the link as I will use it also I opted for the free version, so I will see if I can use it.... Frank
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:50 AM   #8

@Frank - thanks for your comments... I can understand what you mean... being so close to berries is very tempting to pop a juicy one in the mouth!! :-)

@Mark - I appreciate your kind feedback - glad it has the 'appetising' effect on you that I so desired! The software doesn't actually control the depth of field, but rather it allows you to 'stack' (glue) various photos together. I'd heard of it and seen it done, but never done any myself

@Bynx - so thanks muchly, my friend, for the kind link. I'll have to look into focus stacking some more - and see what I can do in the future. You're such a resourceful fellow, Bynx.

For comparison, here is the same berry, same time (taken with same camera / lens combination - Canon 7D using macro lens Canon 100mm f2.8). This 2nd photo is at f14 rather than f2.8. So a lot more of the photo is in focus, but certainly still not the entire berry (as such macro work is at such a close distance). So focus stacking is the best answer.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:39 AM   #9

I think the word is succulent. But I dont fancy all those little things coming from each of the modules. They look more like a cluster of small cherries. But I like the new improved shot. Nice one.