Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:11 AM   #11

Zombz. I am not a fan of photoshop backgtounds all the time either but it depends on the subject and what you are trying to achieve in the shot. If you are covering up a bad background, I would suggest taking the shot over, somewhere with an acceptable background. It only cost you time as you should have plenty of memory to play with. Do a actual background set up, like with some colored fabric that is complementry to your subjects eyes, hair, clothing and so on. Pay attention to the DETAILS of what you are shooting BEFORE taking the picture. What you are doing here is taking a snap shot, and trying to PP it INTO a portrait. That is really not going to improve your skills (except in your PP abilities). Put some time and a little more effort into what you are doing and think it through first, as the results will be definately worth it. If You take a pic that doesn't work for you don't try to photoshop it , throw it out and do another one that you do like. I would feel that photoshop should be used to correct small minute details in your shots not the whole picture. I can't help but notice on my monitor your girlfriends eyes look out of focus Check her eyebrows they look fuzzy also and that area should be the most important part of your shot on a portrait. Every thing in my opinion can be slightly off but those eyes should be tack sharp. If you need to, blow the picture up a couple of hundred percent,. Go over it piece by piece to see where it can be improved then, after you find your mistakes, re-do it till you feel it is acceptable.

I hope this is not too harsh, as it is not my intention to upset you Zombz. But you did ask.....and this is just my opinion. So back at it my friend..... Frank
By the way check this out Zombz, maybe it will give you an idea of what is being done at the moment. It has many different sections you can get some ideas from.

http://www.bestusaphotographers.com/...-category.html

Last edited by hkmp50; Jan 3, 2011 at 3:22 PM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:05 PM   #12

Nope it wasn't to harsh at all I like to know how to improve that's why I keep posting on the site you guys are very helpful
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:07 PM   #13

Also not a fan of the ps'ed backgrounds. Zombz - your ps was not totally ridiculous or anything but the one that the other guy did in front of the sunset made me LOL.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:15 PM   #14

yea i didnt really like the sunset one eigher but i gave him thanks for trying and thanks for the advice

Last edited by zombz; Jan 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:40 PM   #15
Super Moderator

i am not a big fan of the photoshopped in backgrounds either. more often than not, they are just cheezy and not realistic at all.

when you have clutter in the background, there are other options to emphasize the subject and minimize the distraction without resorting to cutting and pasting to a new background.

my initial thought off the top of my head would be, starting with the original 1) crop to square format around your fiance, to avoid the door on the right and shoes on the left 2) burn around the edges for a vignette effect minimizing emphasis on background 3) do some selective dodging to your fiance and the dog to further place emphasis on them and bring their exposure up a bit. 4) a bit of sharpening.

going black and white and doing similar to what i said would work too, and would allow you even further latitude to bring up the exposure on your subject and burn out the background.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:52 PM   #16

Just a thought Zombz,

When someone trys to give you some help like Robert did here it would seem very impolite, in my opinion, to laugh at their efforts, no matter what you think of it. I think that someones' attempt to improve something that you yourself wanted help with, is a gesture of kindness that should not be overlooked or scoffed at.

I can laugh at my critics, but I would never laugh at those who take the time to attempt to help or teach me something.........Frank

@Hards80 : That was a very good answer Hards, I looked at the possibilities of your post and could see how it would work. Very nicely suggested, good advice.... Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Jan 3, 2011 at 3:20 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:21 PM   #17

sorry frank i didnt mean to laugh at the post i changed the wording cause i did apreciate the edits because it was very handy to see the different results just like i apreciate everyones input on this site sorry to offend thats not like me at all
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post
sorry frank i didnt mean to laugh at the post i changed the wording cause i did apreciate the edits because it was very handy to see the different results just like i apreciate everyones input on this site sorry to offend thats not like me at all

OK, then Thanks for letting me know. (MUCH BETTER!!!) I usually don't say anything about most peoples answers like I did on yours, I am glad it was a mistake. It's just that I kind of like you for some reason and don't want to see you get into any bad habits that can be avoided by noting them. Peace brother, it's all good! Lets see some of your work from today! Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Jan 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:46 PM   #19

i just put one up of my car in a different thread trying to learn off camera flash and have the efeect like some of the shots ive seen but i cant seem to get it
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:22 PM   #20

I like the image but you cannot blur the edge of her sweater like you have.
If you want to have a blurred background you must fade in the blur working back from the subject.
Geoff
gsiddorn is offline   Reply With Quote