Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 1, 2011, 2:10 PM   #1

Default Apocalyptic.......

This is Mount Baker, one of the sisters to Mount St. Helena, which did erupt in 1980, with all sorts of damage. Mount Rainier, Mount Shasta are its other well know siblings.

If this girl goes, I could be in a world of hurt.

The houses you see in the foreground, are actually one island over, then the mainland after a body of water, and the mountain range itself, a total distance of plus 50 miles.

a link to the eruption:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...years_ago.html
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:07 PM   #2

Great photo and very nice link. Thanks for providing.
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:49 PM   #3

I'd hang that on my wall. Love the composition.

I'm seeing something but don't know if it's my monitor, old eyes, atmospheric conditions, digital artifact or what. I'm seeing a gradient that starts in the skyline above the mountains, going from darker to lighter, and then blends into the sky. Can anyone tell me what causes that or the proper term for it?
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 5:30 AM   #4

Lovely shot, but I don't like the "halo" around the mountain tops, kinda destroys the pic for me, cause it looks a bit unreal..
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:34 AM   #5

Thats quite a large mountain even from 50 miles away Eddie. What did you do for PP as it does have a slight darkening at the tops of all the mountains in the distance. If it is something you can fix it would be worth it as it is a great pic!!
You been to the top of it yet?? Frank
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:08 PM   #6

I have seen her farther away but only her top shows not her bottom.. I can see her from as far as between South of Port Orchard and Gig Harbour on a hill out of Ollaha.... in fact I have a shot of the day I seen her recently to share... That is the South Worth Ferry!
Attached Images

SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:29 PM   #7

Is this mountain in danger of blowing? My aunt was there for the second pop of St. Helens. Craziness.
cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:45 PM   #8

They all are in danger of going off our kids have packets at school just in case of a blow of one or all....something we knew years ago but its worse when man plays with water let alone fire... Dams make the dirt heavier as well as building on it. So what weighs more a place with just dirt or a place with water and dirt AKA WET DIRT! how is that done easy with building dams then taking off the weight like the towers equals a shift of earth in a direction back into the back flow of the earth turns turbulence wind which after many years has gone into space when earth shifts into that ya get the Hurricanes and Tornado Welcome to the real word... Our Earth is in Great danger all cause of greed and NEED of Power of Water?! What o f wind it is better so is the Sun...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
They all are in danger of going off our kids have packets at school just in case of a blow of one or all....something we knew years ago but its worse when man plays with water let alone fire... Dams make the dirt heavier as well as building on it. So what weighs more a place with just dirt or a place with water and dirt AKA WET DIRT! how is that done easy with building dams then taking off the weight like the towers equals a shift of earth in a direction back into the back flow of the earth turns turbulence wind which after many years has gone into space when earth shifts into that ya get the Hurricanes and Tornado Welcome to the real word... Our Earth is in Great danger all cause of greed and NEED of Power of Water?! What o f wind it is better so is the Sun...
B'fore you get your panties in a wad gal.....the end has already been written. You can either fight the inevitable with nothing to show for it, or just enjoy the ride and try and be a pleasant passenger and move to the next realm.....its your choice ya know.
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:10 PM   #10

Thanks for the photo Eddie.

Interesting take on it, using B&W (though I'm not a huge B&W fan). It would have been nice to see a larger version of your photo.

The houses in the foreground (as you said, separate island) add interest.

Nice exposure.

PS - quick edit - maybe a bit too much post processing (I think there are halo effects and also extra sharpening?) Still - I like the composition!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote