Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:40 AM   #1

Default Almost Abstract

Any and all criticism welcome because I'm trying to see my images through eyes other than my own.
Attached Images

ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:14 AM   #2

Interesting photo, however, the main element could use a little sharpening, and i do mean a little, i think i lot would over kill it. And the bright white spot at the bottom left draws the attention of the viewer away from the main element.

It is a very interesting array of colors and shapes. Overall rating 7 out of 10
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:20 PM   #3

Thanks to both of you.

I tried sharpening but didn't like how the foreground highlights would suddenly 'pop' when I went up a small degree. Below the 'pop' level the sharpening had little effect. I expect that's because the subject (water running over moss covered surfaced) is soft and of variable height.

Agreed about the white spot being distracting. This image is uncropped. I picked my viewpoint to include the spot, thinking one's eye would move from the highlights on the foreground object to the faint god beams then to the spot. I'd try to lessen the intensity of the spot if I knew how. Saved a copy in my folder of problems to be solved after I learn more about post processing.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:51 AM   #4

I like the idea you have for doing abstract, i have never personally been good at it, so for me to really critique this photo doesn't really mean much, but for the technical portions of it for editing i may be of some help. I've attached your photo after a fast editing of it.
Here are some of the steps i used for applying the edit.

Software used: Photoshop CS5 however these edits will all work with all Photoshop CS versions
First to sharpen just the main element i used the magnetic lasso to outline it.
After outlining i selected the quick mask mode and applied a Gaussian blur to it, depending on the resolution of the photo a higher or lower pixel amount is needs to assure smooth transitioning in the photo. Then i increased the sharpness using the unsharp mask.

Levels and saturation were also applied. this is done at the photographers taste to the photo, so just play around with it.

To take care of that "pop" you talked about i used the healing brush tool to clean up the "highlighted" areas (don't know a better way to describe them)

This gives the image an overall similar appearance.

And for the bright white spot i simply selected with the selection tool and hit the delete key, and let photoshop fill it in using the content aware option.

If you would like to know anything more about post processing please feel free to PM me, or reply here. I'm not an expert and will never claim to be, but i love playing around in photoshop and discovering new things and would be glad to pass on the knowledge I've acquired
Attached Images

tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:07 AM   #5

tswen: Thank you for showing me what could be done with some PP and your offer of PP assistance. My plan is to stay away from PP until I've learned what I can do with camera settings.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:09 AM   #6

I have a question about the welcome feedback I received. My photo has a bright white spot that most called distracting, including two friends of mine who are graphic artists. Got it.

What I don't get is if the bright white spot in the linked photo is distracting. Given that it's photojournalism, I don't know if the spot is distracting but the photo was used because it helps tell the story, or if the spot is not distracting or what.

Direct link http://inapcache.boston.com/universa...2_26458335.jpg
Link in context. It's photo #2. http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201..._flooding.html
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:42 PM   #7

that is not just a bright spot, it's the sun's reflection. We know what and why the "bright spot" is there. its a totally different scenario. Your bright spot is random, and we have no idea what it is.

Also, when a photo is not technically perfect when used as photojournalism, it is usually just fine because the photo in that case will not be scrutinized like an art piece would.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
that is not just a bright spot, it's the sun's reflection. We know what and why the "bright spot" is there. its a totally different scenario. Your bright spot is random, and we have no idea what it is.
Got it, thanks.