Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Default Power(ful) lines

Hi Critiques friends

Happy to hear your comments (either way, or if you're sitting on the fence about this one).

Do you like this composition / image? I thought the various diagonal lines (power lines, power pole, land - at a slight angle) in this photo all 'come together' fairly well to make an image worth keeping (rather than 'recycle bin').

I am also glad about the thorns on the bottom left.

What do you think?

Cheers for your comments in advance, folks!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:34 AM   #2

I would have got down and put the flowers close in the foreground shooting up to the lines. I get your idea, but it's lost in the distance.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:20 AM   #3

Well, i like the pick. It happens that i tried to shot poles and ropes many times, but never got a showable one. This is nice. Beauty in proportions and lines.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:02 AM   #4

eh... it doesnt really do anything for me. no wow factor.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:17 PM   #5

Good composition- it plays off the artificial and natural very well. The thorn bush in the lower left makes the shot. My only complaint is that it is a bit too tall for my browser window, and I have to scroll to get it all.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:50 AM   #6

@pboeger - thanks for your valued, constructive words. Yes, I see what you mean: could have been a more powerful effect to be having more foreground grass. However if I would have tried to be as close to the flower (thorn) I would have needed a different lens (e.g. wide angle / ultra-wide angle) . I took this at 70mm with my Canon 70-300mm L, and was a long way off. I do realise I probably used the 'wrong tool' - but was making a composition with what I had

@Ordo - your words and appreciation of what I was (am) trying to convey is appreciated. I know I could do a better / more powerful composition, but from the day I was quite happy with this.

@eric - thanks for your honesty. It's also useful to know that it has no 'wow factor' for you! Cheers for the comment.

@Brian - your feedback is detailed thanks. Yes, I did want the natural (e.g. dry grass, thorn, and 'slope of the land' to somehow interact with the 'man made' -i.e. power lines and pole). I agree the thorn really 'adds' to the composition. My apology I posted it a bit too big here.

Cheers all!!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote