Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwilhelm View Post
I like the shot - looks great! One note though - the GO Train runs on a schedule, couldn't you have timed your arrival a little better and avoided the hour in the cold?

JW
Thats a good point and I even know the schedule but I didnt really want to catch the GO train but rather the VIA Rail train. To me the GO train is like the local bus -- not very interesting. But the VIA train is inter provincial and seems to me like a real train and not a cattle car on rails. I have no idea the VIA schedule. I was actually dressed warmly and the walk and wait was more boring than uncomfortable.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:34 PM   #32

A very classic feel to it Bynx.

I can imagine many train aficionados would appreciate the shot a lot! I'm not one of those people, but like the photo nevertheless.

In the first (pp'd) photo the lights look less red than in the original untouched photo. So it is sort of confusing -but makes sense to realise it's receding (with the snow near / on the train disturbed by the passing train).

If I would have taken this photo I'd maybe have stood closer to the track, but then again, I'm not a train expert -and perhaps your composition is superior.

Well done for your patience and thanks for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:01 PM   #33

I used an ISO of 64 and appropriate settings so I wasnt pushing the rather dull day and light available. I wanted the noise to be kept to minimum. So where I was standing was between the passenger train tracks on the right and freight tracks on the left. Its a long story but I was wearing shoes and not snow boots so I didnt and couldnt go wading into foot deep snow. I figured where I was I could just use the zoom to frame my pic. I will look at the shots again and the next time it snows I will be there taking more pics. I didnt get exactly what I wanted. Here is a shot of a CN freight train. It kind of snuck up on me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Jan 25, 2011 at 8:26 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:42 PM   #34

that looks like watercolor or marker painting of some kind, lol. im not sure if that was look you were intending or not?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:51 PM   #35

It was a pretty bland pic so I gave it the treatment as you see it.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:27 PM   #36

i like it.