Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:13 PM   #1

Default One more of my grandson

I have been trying to learn to use my flash so off to my wife's favorite subject (mine too) Wyatt. He will be one year February 28

C&C welcomed and encouraged (hence my posting in the critiques forum)

Steve
Attached Images

Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:31 PM   #2

I like the shot. The bounce flash prevented harsh shadows, and still produced catchlights. A reflector might eliminate or soften the shadow below the face. The child's face is in focus, while his body and the background are sufficiently out of focus. The background is a bit distracting - a plain or at least a consistent background will help. The crop is a little off - I'd recommend leaving a little extra room to the viewer's left given the direction of the subject's gaze(I think it's called action space).

I'm trying to figure out flash photography myself. From what I've read it is a lot easier than it used to be, but its still a challenge to pull off an artistic shot.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:42 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply Jim. I used a Sunpak soft box diffuser on my HVL-F58AM rotated to the portrait orientation pointed right at him. I am not sure but I thin the Sunpak is large enough to block the flash to the point where manual mode might be required. I am only guessing but I think the diffuser blocked enough of the flash that it was having trouble finding distance.

He was helping his mom fold laundry (not much help but he tries hard) so the crop I came up with was to try to get him in the frame without the background. Here is the re-sized only original.

Steve
Attached Images

Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:13 AM   #4

One of the things that caught me off-guard about these reviews is that the viewer doesn't see what I see in my own photos. A picture of my son or daughter is precious regardless of whatever else is going on, but for a casual viewer it is a different story entirely.

I'm not familiar with your flash unit, but something does appear amiss if you had the flash pointed directly at the subject. The shadows beneath the head convinced me a bounce flash was used. Perhaps the camera was metering for something bright or light, forcing it to tone down the flash. If your flash uses a TTL system it should compensate for the diffuser. Were you shooting in Av mode?
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:57 AM   #5

Diffuser is probably the wrong term. The Sunpak is a soft box type arrangement and it was blocking the sensor on the flash unit. About the time I was finishing up for the day I noticed the red light from the flash sensor hitting the bottom rear of the soft box.

The shadow at neck level I did not notice until you pointed it out to me. I need to improve on my angles when trying to do these types of shots. Had I done a better job of being at his level and not angled down a bit that shadow would probably not have been there.

here is what I was using http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...usion_Kit.html

I just noticed the 2EV exposure correction

Thank you for your input

Steve
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:20 AM   #6

Thanks for sharing nice pic. I normally just use bounce or angle when shooting this type of shoot ours are 5 and 6 by the way and are great subjects too. i am going to get the gary fog light sphere and try that when we go Florida at the end of the month. I have not seen the soft box before so will look into it more
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:41 AM   #7

I posted these that i took with just bounce
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...stmas-day.html
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:22 AM   #8

Hey Boat Guy ... It sure is understandable that you love taking pix of this little guy! I don't know anything about flash photos, but I may be able to offer a little about the creative side of your crop.

I agree w/Iowa Jim that to strangers, the crop/treatment of a photo comes across differently than it does to those who know in what context the pic was taken. Both pix have too much 'extra' at the top ... you'd get a more pleasing portrait if you cropped the top down a little closer, while keeping the lower portion (shirt/hands). Just a thought ....

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:33 AM   #9

Here is a choice ... it gives your photo a bit more of that 'action space' that Iowa Jim suggested....

Your Wyatt is a doll!
Attached Images

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:20 PM   #10

Certainly a nice photo of a cute grandson!

I think you've received some great input, particularly what iowa_jim wrote. So I won't add more except to state that the first impressions I received of this photo were:
a) cute boy!
b) good unposed / natural capture (I like those best)
c) slightly distracting background
d) quite sharp
e) are there two light sources (I thought internal room light and flash?)

Cheers. Thanks for sharing

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote