Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:49 PM   #1

Default Winter Flower

I saw this in the frost on my back window this morning. I am curious what others think. My PP skills are young, but in general, what do you think about the idea and what I did with it?
Thanks,
Soup
Name:  DSC_0074aemail.jpg
Views: 2406
Size:  96.9 KB
Soupcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:43 PM   #2

I think that's kewl. I like the artistic merit of it. Very clever
Organizedkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:55 PM   #3

Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4

Interesting concept, alhto I think I would have liked to have seen it naturally. The green and pink are a bit too 'neonish' IMO. Detract from the beauty and delicacy of the frost.

...k...

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:34 PM   #5

Hi, Very nice and well presented except one thing, there is something just trying to come into the photo on the left about a third of the way from the top.
Russ
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:25 AM   #6

Katsi and Russell, thanks for the comments. They are much appreciated.
Here is a sized down copy of the original photo. What you see crawling in on the left is the neighboring frost. I missed it when I was cloning out the other white spots you see in the original. I agree that it is too neonish. I will blame my poor PP skills. With the original frost being white, I couldn't figure out how to darken the white area, so it came out very light.
I took pictures of this frost with a number of different backgrounds and colors. I thought the blue showed the details of the ice crystals the best. As I was taking the pictures I kept seeing this "rose" in the frost and thought I would try something new.
Again, I am very grateful for all the comments. Feel free to try something else with it (or teach me how to darken the neon problem). I am interested to see what other's interpretations would be.
Thanks,
Soup
Name:  DSC_0074email.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  71.0 KB
Here is another unedited shot using different camera settings.
Name:  DSC_0152email.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  31.1 KB
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:39 AM   #7

Hey Soup ... I like the natural much better. I do like them both singly ... (you know the 'rule' of odd numbers ... 1, 3, 5, etc). The blue is nice for the backgrnd. Perhaps a separate crop of each ... they'd lend themselves well to an 6x6, for example. I can see each matted and framed and used as a set....

I especially like the darker background. Don't know much about PP, but perhaps highlighting the frost and then deepening the shadows would make them pop a bit more?

They are a beautiful example of nature's extraordinary intricacies! Keep working at it!

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote