Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:43 AM   #11

Wow ... These pix certainly show the 'real picture' (sorry about that...) of how extraordinarily huge those icicles are! But I still like the first one you posted ... much more interesting!

Try to stay warm ....

...k...

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:14 PM   #12

Well, I kinda like the straight on shot. The outside shots really show the monstrosity of those things.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugmar View Post
Well, I kinda like the straight on shot...
The compositional problem I have with it is that ISTM that the focus ought to be on something in the bushes in the background, but what I want for the center of attention is the icicles. By looking down, it doesn't seem that the focus ought to be middle-distance, so the icicles being in focus is visually coherent to me. Further, the effect I was looking for is a "trapped in a cave" vibe. Raising the line of sight would undercut the trapped notion. Finally, the distorted perspective from being off-axis with a WA lens was intended to convey the disorientation that comes with cabin fever. I don't think that last part worked in this composition, or at least didn't work enough to overcome the gimmickry. But, other than that, I am satisfied with the composition of the original image. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:13 AM   #14

I like the angles of the first one. The icicles are impressive but without the window and other elements the second shot loses its depth for me.

The harsh angles, dark room, even the dirt in the sill between the two windows. Makes me remember how I felt looking through what could have been the same window in North Western Nebraska. I was never so happy as the day I found out dad was being transferred out of there.

cool shot

Steve

did you happen to get one with the entire window?
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
did you happen to get one with the entire window?
Nope. It's a low ceiling in the back room -- I don't think there is an angle that would work for such a shot there.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 4:14 PM   #16

Liking the first outdoor shot - fab composition with the shadows inside and out. Crop out the top iceblock and focus on the shadow/light contrast.
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote