Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:50 AM   #1

Default Family photo

Hello all

My twin brother (Robert) and his wife (Carlene) were asked by some of the relatives for some updated 'family shots'. As I happened to be visiting them at the end of January, I was naturally asked if I could help. (I live about 2000km away from them in another state of Australia).

So I 'set up' their living room to get as good light as possible, asking them to stand against a 'blank wall' (I did have to clone out a powerpoint and cord, but that wasn't too difficult).

It was 2pm on a slightly cloudy but still bright summer's day afternoon, so quite a lot of bright light coming in. There were two large windows either side of them. I put some big light coloured pillows on the ground, angled them towards their upper bodies to bounce some light back on them. I used my Canon 350D with the 15-85mm lens. So nothing 'pro' or studio like at all...

I was reasonably happy with the result, considering it was very 'impromptu' and 'family indoor portraits' is not really my main forte of photography. Rob & Carlene already received the CD of photos I sent them by snail mail and were very happy.

But now I'm curious, what do you all think? Any suggestions / recommendations / notes for improvement?

If you wish to see some individual 'portrait' shots of my nieces (quite different to this one) - please see the thread I just posted in the Member's and Family photos section here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...-3-nieces.html

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Paul
Attached Images

Last edited by pj1974; Feb 5, 2011 at 4:08 AM.
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:42 AM   #2

Its interesting to see how the parents are holding the kids. Women know how to hold them, while guys generally dont. In this case she is holding the girl on her hip while he is holding her with sheer muscle power. And unfortunately if he was holding her in a similar manner as his wife then the childs face would be in a better position and thus a better portrait. Other than that the rest of your thinking and setup produced a really nice group shot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:53 AM   #3

As an informal, casual photograph, this is very, very nice. Everyone is looking at the camera, all is in focus, colors are nice, etc. Only improvement might be less shadowing on Robert's face. A real keepsake.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:46 PM   #4

Good job!A great family photo。
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:26 PM   #5

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Its interesting to see how the parents are holding the kids. Women know how to hold them, while guys generally dont. In this case she is holding the girl on her hip while he is holding her with sheer muscle power. And unfortunately if he was holding her in a similar manner as his wife then the childs face would be in a better position and thus a better portrait. Other than that the rest of your thinking and setup produced a really nice group shot.
Hi Bynx

Your eagle eye and lateral mind quickly spotted that! Thanks for your thoughts. I actually only noticed that Rob's holding of Renee was not the best... and it was too late (when I reviewed the photo on my computer, which was too late... as I was 'back home' 2000km away).

It's very interesting what you said, many women do hold children on their hips (also lower) while men hold them higher. My twin Robert is a strong guy (he does weights regularly, used to do boxing, etc). I'm much more of a 'quick sports' person (eg badminton, volleyball, etc) - so our build is very different (he was always bigger than me, also at birth).

Hopefully next time I will remember to check that the positioning of children is better... but hey, maybe Renee will be standing for the next shot. I did a few with them standing, but the height difference was too much ('separated' parents and children in the photo).

I appreciate your feedback!

Paul
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:29 PM   #6

Default Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
As an informal, casual photograph, this is very, very nice. Everyone is looking at the camera, all is in focus, colors are nice, etc. Only improvement might be less shadowing on Robert's face. A real keepsake.
Hi Walter

I'm very appreciative of your kind compliment. Indeed, I was glad for what you said (focus, colours, etc). I will keep in mind about the shadowing. It could be (as per Bynx's post above) that if Renee were held differently - ie rotated little more to the camera and that there wouldn't be so much shadowing on Rob's face.

Again, your comments are much appreciated! Photos can keep such memories!

Paul
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:31 PM   #7

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Good job!A great family photo。
Hello Ordo

Many thanks for your words of encouragement for this photo. I'm sure it will be used by Robert and Carlene to share with other friends and relatives, and that was the purpose, so I'm glad because of that.

Paul
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:00 PM   #8

Paul, this is a very nice shot. I do agree with Bynx, however, but the background looks like a "studio" background, and the lighting is good. Good shot!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Paul, this is a very nice shot. I do agree with Bynx, however, but the background looks like a "studio" background, and the lighting is good. Good shot!
Hello Robert

I appreciate your kind and insightful feedback, thanks!

Thankfully their wall was quite suitable for the occasion. I'll have some things to put into practice next time such an impromptu family shot is requested.

Cheers. Glad you could stop by and comment.

Paul
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:40 PM   #10

i like this love the lighting nice exposer
Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote