Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:24 AM   #1

Default Spring in Switzerland

Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:58 AM   #2

Nice picks. All of them. You could level the horizon on #3 tho.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:57 AM   #3

This is the critique section, so here goes. The first photo just seems pointless to me. The wind chime isn't nearly as interesting as the mountain that it is blocking, so it's hard to see what you were going for at all in it. The second photo doesn't work, but comes closer to working. The compositional problems include that the mountain runs too close to the top of the frame, the birds on the dock presumably are the intended subject, but seem kind of generic and diffuse as a subject. Nothing particularly draws my eye in the foreground. The mist seems to divide the photo into two halves, and the birds in the foreground just don't seem to have any unity with the mountain in the background.

The third photo pretty much works compositionally. As mentioned, the shoreline needs to be straightened, but that is a simple fix in pp. What works about this is that the mountain provides a majestic backdrop for the nominal subject, which is the boat. One assumes that the people in the boat are doing what we are doing -- taking in the grandeur of the mountain view. So, while the boat forms a nominal subject, we really look "through" it to the mountain, which -- while nominally the backdrop -- forms the real subject matter of the composition. Note that the composition wouldn't work nearly as well without that silly boat -- there wouldn't be an "anchor point" for our attention, even though the anchor point in this case is not going to hold our attention -- it allows us a clear point for entry into viewing the photo, and then it has done its job and doesn't bother us further.

The mist at the base of the mountain provides a visual horizon line for the lake while the mountain rises out of the obscured implied-infinity point of that horizon, giving a visual ambiguity to the relationship between mountain and lake that only adds to the sense of "presence" in the mountain. You have provided enough sky over the mountain to add to the spaciousness of the vista. Overall, it is a good mountain landscape. FWIW

Last edited by tclune; Feb 10, 2011 at 8:00 AM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:49 AM   #4

Your pics are good, I just wish the mountain was clearer and not shrouded in so much fog/mist. The more detail you can get of the mountain the better it will help each picture. This looks like it would be a great setting for a sunrise or sunset picture.

A change in perspective
will change a barren wasteland
to a field of opportunity
tikamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Nice picks. All of them. You could level the horizon on #3 tho.
Thanks (for the tip as well) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
This is the critique section, so here goes. The first photo just seems pointless to me. The wind chime isn't nearly as interesting as the mountain that it is blocking, so it's hard to see what you were going for at all in it.
Pointless ? That's a bit harsh...
The result wasn't the one I expected, true...I photographed the chime because it was absolutely huge, probably taller than a person, around 2 meters tall !
How can I make an object really stand out as -big- ?

Quote:
The second photo doesn't work, but comes closer to working. The compositional problems include that the mountain runs too close to the top of the frame, the birds on the dock presumably are the intended subject, but seem kind of generic and diffuse as a subject. Nothing particularly draws my eye in the foreground. The mist seems to divide the photo into two halves, and the birds in the foreground just don't seem to have any unity with the mountain in the background.
Weird...this is the photo that everybody seems to adore, including me !
About the mountain being at the top-frame, I didn't have a choice...I wanted to capture more of the dock and birds !
You can't see it, but there was a fence in front of me, otherwise I would've tried crouching a bit...c'est la vie !

Quote:
The third photo pretty much works compositionally. As mentioned, the shoreline needs to be straightened, but that is a simple fix in pp. What works about this is that the mountain provides a majestic backdrop for the nominal subject, which is the boat. One assumes that the people in the boat are doing what we are doing -- taking in the grandeur of the mountain view. So, while the boat forms a nominal subject, we really look "through" it to the mountain, which -- while nominally the backdrop -- forms the real subject matter of the composition. Note that the composition wouldn't work nearly as well without that silly boat -- there wouldn't be an "anchor point" for our attention, even though the anchor point in this case is not going to hold our attention -- it allows us a clear point for entry into viewing the photo, and then it has done its job and doesn't bother us further.

The mist at the base of the mountain provides a visual horizon line for the lake while the mountain rises out of the obscured implied-infinity point of that horizon, giving a visual ambiguity to the relationship between mountain and lake that only adds to the sense of "presence" in the mountain. You have provided enough sky over the mountain to add to the spaciousness of the vista. Overall, it is a good mountain landscape. FWIW
Thank you...I've really enjoyed your description !
And I do appreciate the time you took to review the pics...

I look forward to being critiqued by you again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamidnight View Post
Your pics are good, I just wish the mountain was clearer and not shrouded in so much fog/mist. The more detail you can get of the mountain the better it will help each picture. This looks like it would be a great setting for a sunrise or sunset picture.
Thanks !

Well, can't help about the mountain being like that...it's pretty much enshrouded in mist all the time - spring/summer/winter - day/night/rainy/sunny !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Last edited by Marawder; Feb 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:01 PM   #6

I liked the photos but after seeing you write that the wind chime was over 2m tall i am starting to lean towards tclune's review(which overall was a very good critique), it is not conveyed very well but a good attempt.
#2 is a great idea, I think if it was shot from a slightly lower angle(reducing the amount of water in the shot) it may have been slightly more dramatic.
#3 is the best imo(once the shoreline is straightened), the colors/contrast and overall composition is very nice.
Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintershooter View Post
I liked the photos but after seeing you write that the wind chime was over 2m tall i am starting to lean towards tclune's review(which overall was a very good critique), it is not conveyed very well but a good attempt.
#2 is a great idea, I think if it was shot from a slightly lower angle(reducing the amount of water in the shot) it may have been slightly more dramatic.
#3 is the best imo(once the shoreline is straightened), the colors/contrast and overall composition is very nice.
Thanks for the observations !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM