Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:38 PM   #1

Default Travel pics

This was taken during my recent trip to India. I am new to photography and to this forum, lots to learn. Any comments welcomed.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by jackiehktong; Mar 22, 2011 at 6:38 AM.
jackiehktong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:08 AM   #2

Hi Jackiehktong

This is quite a good portrait for a 'new to photography' attempt. Well done.

Taking such photos can be tricky. The boy is a handsome subject.

A few initial thoughts. A bit of a shame that part of his face is in (sun) light, as it leaves his nose too 'bright'.

Also, the focus is not quite spot on (but close). For a depth of field like that (it appears you used a setting that had a thin depth of field) - you must get the eyes perfectly in focus (the pupil) - whereas I think the focal plane is just in front.

Finally, there are a few bright colours in the background -which distract a bit. Perhaps try having the subject with a plainer background.

However having said that - it doesn't mean this is a bad photo. Not at all. It's quite good. The above are just some pointers for possible improvements in the future.

Keep shooting and sharing.

regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:06 AM   #3

Thank you. I didn't notice that the nose is too bright, I made the picture brighter too, the origin shot is not as bright.

I was volunteering in a village school and this was taken in a very busy classroom while we were giving them a lecture. The boy himself was very shy, out of nowhere he shot up and looked at me, I only had like a second for this, next time I will stalk him a bit more .

Thx. Jackie
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:51 AM   #4

jackie -

I saw your other shot too. They are both strong shots. The first thing I noticed was the focus point. As pj1974 mentioned try to put the point of focus right on the eye when shooting shallow depth of field and then try to brace the camera to be as still as possible when taking the picture.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:44 AM   #5

Excellent image. I see the boy's inner state in his expression and find it compelling. Your depth of field choice complements the lighting variances and adds mystery to the colorful background.

Yes, it's a bit out of focus. The qualities of the subject overwhelm the technical imperfections, IMHO. If you put it on a wall and viewed it from 5 feet away nobody would notice the technical shortcomings unless they were looking for them.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:17 PM   #6

Thanks for all the comments...lots of help. I cleaned up the picture a bit, wondering if it works better. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:51 PM   #7

I made a few adjustments...love his face...
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 6:12 AM   #8

Hello lisaonewolf, excellent changes, thanks! How did you do that though? I would like to do that to the original file. The image look so different in this forum....it really pops on my MAC.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:22 PM   #9

I hate to admit, I do not know post production stuff. I am not a patient person learning photoshop. I have a photo program, basic one that helps with downloading. Windows Live Photo Gallery. It doesn't do much, but it basically does exposure, color, crop, resizing for here. I uses sliders to adjust how much I want something to change...looking at the face, seeing how the skin on the nose looks and the rest of the face turn up. I am not into the Post production changes, not major ones.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:37 AM   #10

Very nice shot...he's got such gorgeous eyes !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote