Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:12 PM   #1

Default Beach Scene

I have had a Canon XSi for about a year and finally starting to take it seriously. This a pic I snapped while walking on the local beach with camera in full auto. I would appreciate feedback on the "setup" of the shot. I am trying to mix setting the shot up with moving in to manual mode.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Attached Images

divmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:40 PM   #2

Seems like the surf board and kids toys are the main subject, but the focus is set back to the fenceline so in the image the only thing in focus is the Public Access 41 sign.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:47 PM   #3

Thank you Bynx. If in manual, am I correct that this would be a situation to use a high f-stop with the short focus on probably the wagon?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:19 AM   #4

im not sure what you mean by high f-stop, do you mean wide f-stop?
switch your camera to aperture priority and if you use something like f16 then most of your picture would be sharp from front to back, where as if you use f2.8 then just the wagon would be in focus and the background and foreground would be out of focus.
take a few shots and compare them and see which you like best
hope that helps
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:50 PM   #5

Thank you Kazuya it does help. I appreciate any and all comments/advice. Still learning the terminology but what you said about the f-stop is what I was asking.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by divmedic4 View Post
...with camera in full auto.
It's almost like buying a Ferrari and keeping it in the garage...

DSLRs aren't made to be used in Auto mode !
Your photo proves it...focus is off, exposure and white balance as well !

Know Google ? The internet offers TONS of info on how to use a DLSR...

On this very site there's a huge dictionay with photographic terms:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi-dictionary.html

Il suffit juste de chercher !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:15 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
It's almost like buying a Ferrari and keeping it in the garage...

DSLRs aren't made to be used in Auto mode !
Your photo proves it...focus is off, exposure and white balance as well !

Know Google ? The internet offers TONS of info on how to use a DLSR...

On this very site there's a huge dictionay with photographic terms:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi-dictionary.html

Il suffit juste de chercher !
Marawder, that's probably a little harsh, divmedic4 came here for advice, not to be beaten up. Yes there are great sites that can help and Steve's is one of them with most people very keen to assist and point others in the right direction if they are keen to learn.

divmedic4, I agree that Auto isn't going to be your best, you are better using P exposure mode will allow you to have a lot more control.

Check out page 56 and 61 of the user manual http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/030000...EOS450D_EN.pdf

Pg 61 shows you how to select a focus point, this will mean you are choosing where the camera focuses rather than the camera doing it. In your photo it is on the sign rather than the toys/board. As mentioned using a narrower f stop (smaller f number) will make more of the photo in focus, I would do some reading around depth of field and exposure control.

I don't think the white balance is really off and the exposure is OK, a little bright but not miles out, what needs to be done with the photo is mostly in post production. There isn't enough contrast so the shadows need boosting, a little more saturation would help as well.

Don't be disheartened, keep shooting and enjoying photography and you will go from strength to strength.

I would say work on one or two aspects at a time, you can't become great over night so think about composition and exposure then build on that.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 1:38 PM   #8

@Marawder - Everything you mention is why I chose to post the pic. With so many great comments made here, I figure the best way to learn is get feedback on what I have shot regardless of mode. I would aprreciate it if you could give specific advice as to what exposure/focus/white balance would have been good choices from what you see.

@Mark1616 - Thank you for the tip about "P-mode." I have read that and wish it wasn't raining to go try that a little today. I think a big part for me is getting used to picking what I really want to stand out instead of what all can I get in for a shot.