Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:45 PM   #1

Default Beach Volleyball

The two people on the right are my cousins (She married into the family in
January). This is one photo from a set of 15 "keepers" that I took.

It's beach volleyball in Key West. 2 on 2. She's about to serve. Guy on the
left is on the other team.

I am looking for any critique to make this a better photo. Either in
composition or editing (although I can't go back and take the shot
again, lol). Guy in the middle is in focus everywhere except on this forum.

Thanks!

Last edited by ewheeler20; Mar 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:51 PM   #2

any tips on how to keep the photo in focus when putting it on this forum would be helpful too. I uploaded it to my flickr account (was still in focus then). Then I grabbed the BBCode with the size of "Large (632 x 1024)" . Then on this forum I clicked "insert link, and pasted it into that. It was just as out of focus when i tried it in "Original (2432 x 3939)" but it was huge. And I tried it in "Medium 640 (395 x 640)" but was just as bad.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:11 PM   #3

Eric,

Can't help you on the sharpness, but I will say the photo definitely looks front focused - net tape is sharper than the player and you can tell by the sand the dof ends just before him.

Sharpness aside though, this is a tough image. Your cousin looks to be sucking a little wind, so not a flattering image of him. The framing would be great with the other two players for context if he had a better expression. Exposure is good, but with your primary subject in a less-than-flattering light I'm not sure what to do with the image.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:57 AM   #4

thanks for the reply. It certainly is front focused. Although i hate to blame the equipment, my pentax K-r has serious FF issues and will hopefully be sent back for a fix or replacement soon. So, ive been struggling with that.

As for the facial expression, this is between plays, right before Steph (the girl) is about to serve in the background. He is bent over, so he doesn't block her from view from the other team (it's illegal in vball). And I saw his face as more of a "game-face", not "sucking wind". But, if you see it as an unflattering expression, then that's whats important, because you are the viewer. I am interested about the unflattering light though, as I actually thought the lighting was nice.

i do appreciate what you said.

btw, if anyone cares, i have a thread in the sports section with more from this set:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...-attempts.html

Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:10 AM   #5

Eric, I just open a tab, go to flickr, choose a photo, select all sizes, copy the size I want, then paste it here. You lose exif info, but if the pic is sharp to begin with, it shoul arrive here the same way.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:18 AM   #6

thanks for the tip, i just tried that, but when i copied it into my original post, it didn't show up.
It showed up on the edit screen, but as soon as i reposted it, it just left a big empty spot.

I just found this on the flickr sight:

"Where is the HTML code and photo file link?
The HTML code to embed a photo in a web page that you used to find on the All Sizes page is now only in the Share menu above the photo, to the right of the Actions menu. We now also include BBCode! (standard message board code)
There are a few cases where the code may not be available: 1) If the photo is restricted. 2) If that person has turned off "Share this" or access to original files.
The direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this."

-http://www.flickr.com/help/photos/#2265887
Old Apr 10, 2011, 2:28 PM   #7

The player is in focus on my monitor, even hugely zoomed. yellow tape is very bright.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:19 PM   #8

Eric, what John said, plus a picture. You can see the front focus plainly, but whether it is the camera or just a difficult shot for the AF to figure out, is more in your corner at this time. On this particular pic, I would not blame the camera at all. BTW, you have some nice shots on your Flickr site.

Exposure Time = 1/1000"
F Number = F2.8
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2010-12-30 14:40:08
Date Time Digitized = 2010-12-30 14:40:08
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Exposure Bias Value = 0EV
Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Also, using a wide aperture while zoomed out plays havoc with your depth of field. Stopping the lens down to f4 would have helped on that shot, but proper focus would have solved the whole problem. Just my $0.02 worth, Eric.
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Last edited by Hawgwild; Apr 10, 2011 at 8:30 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:11 PM   #9

I appreciate your feedback. I am pretty sure it was the FF issue, but you're right it could have very well been my user error. I don't remember anymore, lol. For that v'ball series I used single-focus, center focus point, then re-compose. It's possible that I accidentally focused on the net.
thanks for the kind works about my Flickr account too. I'm trying to gain more experience with sports, and uploading what i shoot.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:24 PM   #10

Whoa! Eric! NoNoNo! I didn't mean to imply that the focus thing was user error. Far from that, I have faith in your ability to focus. I meant that, given the proximity of the bottom of the net to his face, the camera got confused and locked onto the net, mistakenly. This is like trying to AF on a bird amid tree branches, very difficult for an AF system to figure out correctly every time. You mighy get lucky occasionally, but it would still be luck.

My Flickr
-Robert-