Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 30, 2011, 6:09 PM   #1

Default Spousal Collaboration

My wife plants, feeds, waters, prunes and talks to 'em. Then, I shoot 'em. C&C please.
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:35 PM   #2

I'm not a fan of putting the bouquet right in front of a wall. I'd much rather see the background blurred in the distance.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:18 AM   #3

Walter I think a couple of things come to my attention that I'd address if it was mine. The background and surround fights the subject, I'd try to eliminate that competition.
The calla lily is very white by nature, and blows out while trying to capture the saturation of the other hues and colors.
And I would use fresher flowers, these appear to be wilting, or perhaps they need to be tidied up, remove the the petals that have scars, cuts, and such.
I think I'd opt for a softer capture too, the sharping separates each flower, instead of joining together, or vignetting perhaps.
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 7:15 AM   #4

That's a gorgeous arrangement! The flowers have some imperfections, but very few and much like live music, the imperfections give it character. I'll have to second the comments about the wall behind the flowers. The table top is rather interesting to me as a woodworker. It appears to be a single piece of wood, and very old. I'd be curious to see some shots of it by itself.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 9:33 PM   #5

+1 on the background.

I believe these are antique roses. Good to see a photo by someone who understands them and didn't PP to make the colors pop. The woodworker's comment makes me wonder if placing them on old wood was a thematic choice.

The flowers have flaws, which means this photo wouldn't do for Better Homes and Gardens magazines. The subject of a still life is life, which is imperfect. Nice selection and arrangement of subject, nice exposure to capture the subtle colors.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 10:56 PM   #6

Spalted maple?
Old May 1, 2011, 11:33 PM   #7

I've masked and blacked out the wall and used the dodge/burn tool to bring out the wood -- which happens to be the top of an antique Singer sewing machine table. I wasn't going for background bokah but, rather, using AV mode to get good sharpness of all the flowers...not just a signal one. I chose the old table to provide some character and contrasting texture. Anyway, I think I accomplished what I set out to do with this shot. I understand, of course, that others may have approached the shot/subject differently.

Thanks. - Walter
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 10:26 PM   #8

I love your edit.
Old May 4, 2011, 5:26 PM   #9

Beautiful arrangement!! personally I like a shot from above or close to above with two to three floers in focus and the rest out of focus.
mrick2511 is offline   Reply With Quote