Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 4, 2011, 6:23 PM   #1

Default Happy Baby

I posted about newbie help just a few days ago because all my photos I took that day were blury and to tell you the truth I went back through most of them since purchasing my new lens and the majority of them are blury Well thanks to some help I played around with some settings and got some fun non blury photos today! Let me know what you think on this one. It was taken indoors. I was using AV mode on my camera. Bumped up the ISO since in that mode I cannot control the shutter speed which I needed to be fast because she doesnt sit still for a micro second It is blurry when I blow it up because of the ISO being 1600 right?
Attached Images

mrick2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2011, 8:51 PM   #2

I took the liberty of running the photo through a quick pass of Neat Image to lower the noise and then a pass through Focus Magic to sharpen up the image a bit (it's usually tricky to sharpen an image before suppressing the noise). I think, e.g., the eyelashes show an improvement in sharpness. Now the original loss of sharpness may have been due to down-resing the image for posting, I don't know. But a bit of easy post-processing seems to bring the sharpness back up perfectly acceptably to my eye. I think I lost some of the color fidelity in my quick hack, but you get the idea. You have an adorable model available for a goodly number of years, so you'll have plenty of time to practice! BTW, you lost the EXIF data somewhere along the line. It's always nice to be able to see that in images posted for C&C. FWIW.
Attached Images

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 9:20 PM   #3

Much better, mrick2511, your baby is beautiful. I have an eleven month old son so I understand the desire to get plenty of shots. Have you tried shooting in manual mode? You can control ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Use your light meter to determine the correct exposure. You should try it and see what kind of results you get. Keep shooting. I haven't stopped since I got my camera. That's the only way to get better.
umdaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 9:21 PM   #4

Almost forgot...nice pp, tclune.
umdaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 9:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I took the liberty of running the photo through a quick pass of Neat Image to lower the noise and then a pass through Focus Magic to sharpen up the image a bit (it's usually tricky to sharpen an image before suppressing the noise). I think, e.g., the eyelashes show an improvement in sharpness. Now the original loss of sharpness may have been due to down-resing the image for posting, I don't know. But a bit of easy post-processing seems to bring the sharpness back up perfectly acceptably to my eye. I think I lost some of the color fidelity in my quick hack, but you get the idea. You have an adorable model available for a goodly number of years, so you'll have plenty of time to practice! BTW, you lost the EXIF data somewhere along the line. It's always nice to be able to see that in images posted for C&C. FWIW.
Oh I love what you have done! It was sharper than the image you see on the post but not as crisp as your edit! Hmm not sure about the EXIF data. Here it is, Hope I type it in the "proper" way
Shooting Mode:Aperature Priority- AE
tv: 1/250
AV: 4.0
Exposure compensation: +2/3
ISO speed: 1600
Focal Length: 50mm
White Balance: Auto
Old May 4, 2011, 9:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdaman1 View Post
Much better, mrick2511, your baby is beautiful. I have an eleven month old son so I understand the desire to get plenty of shots. Have you tried shooting in manual mode? You can control ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Use your light meter to determine the correct exposure. You should try it and see what kind of results you get. Keep shooting. I haven't stopped since I got my camera. That's the only way to get better.
Thank you! I love taking lots of pics of my munchkinz! Glad Im getting better