Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 21, 2011, 11:00 PM   #1

Default Another Sunset Try

Thoughts?
Attached Images

divmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2011, 11:51 PM   #2

i think it is beautiful how the sun dips into the curve on the horizon .... i know it is a sunset shot but i would have used the rule of thirds on this one ... all is not lost lost though a simple crop and hey presto.....
Old May 22, 2011, 12:06 AM   #3

Hi,

Now this is called a proper sunset picture. A major improvement from the previous post...

I personally like the composition especially the effect of the clouds made by the sun's rays.

A beautiful sunset indeed!!!

Saket
saketb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 7:12 PM   #4

Quote:
i think it is beautiful how the sun dips into the curve on the horizon .... i know it is a sunset shot but i would have used the rule of thirds on this one ... all is not lost lost though a simple crop and hey presto.....
Thank you simple. I am little confused by your rule of thirds suggestion. I thought I had followed it. Are you saying the sun should be on the bottom third line for this?

Quote:
Hi,

Now this is called a proper sunset picture. A major improvement from the previous post...

I personally like the composition especially the effect of the clouds made by the sun's rays.

A beautiful sunset indeed!!!

Saket
Thank you Saket. I have tried to use all of the suggestions from the previous attempts and will continue to do so. It makes such a good excuse to spend the evening on the beach.

Tom
Old May 22, 2011, 9:46 PM   #5

divmedic4, you did follow the rule of thirds with regard to the horizon. Maybe simple is referring to the placement of the sun. ?? I like this image. It has more interest because of the amount of sky you have in the frame. Good improvement
umdaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 11:58 PM   #6

the shot itself is good no taking that away from you divmedic it is a nice sunset picture i love where the sun is placed and wouldnt alter anything except a little crop on the sky to even the distance out... this is only my personal preference so take it with a pinch of salt as i have never tried a sunset shot like this

here is what i mean

or even a little more

Last edited by simple; May 23, 2011 at 12:01 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 1:41 PM   #7

The rule of thirds (see link here) basically says to place the points of emphasis on the intersections of each third (i.e. bottom left, top left, bottom right, top right). As with all 'rules' in photography, it's really more of a guideline, but is definitely a good place to start. Here is an example with your sunset (which I thought was very nice).

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 5:52 PM   #8

Quote:
the shot itself is good no taking that away from you divmedic it is a nice sunset picture i love where the sun is placed and wouldnt alter anything except a little crop on the sky to even the distance out... this is only my personal preference so take it with a pinch of salt as i have never tried a sunset shot like this
Simple, I am sorry if I came across wrong in my reply. I very much appreciate the feedback you gave but was a little confused. When looking at the crops you did, I had considered doing that but thought it put the horizon too close to the center.

Quote:
The rule of thirds (see link here) basically says to place the points of emphasis on the intersections of each third (i.e. bottom left, top left, bottom right, top right). As with all 'rules' in photography, it's really more of a guideline, but is definitely a good place to start. Here is an example with your sunset (which I thought was very nice).
Jschoenr, thank you for the compliment and diagram. Can I ask how you got the lines over the photo like that? That was a great way to see the technical application of rule of thirds. I struggling at times with what exactly should hit that intersection.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:07 AM   #9

no need to apologize i am on the learning curve too
Old May 24, 2011, 7:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Jschoenr, thank you for the compliment and diagram. Can I ask how you got the lines over the photo like that? That was a great way to see the technical application of rule of thirds. I struggling at times with what exactly should hit that intersection.
I was at my work computer, so I just copied it into powerpoint, created some boxes, eyeballed for 1/3s, and save the output as jpg..
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote