Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 26, 2011, 11:56 AM   #1

Default Distorted Tornado News Shot

As if the devastation wasn't bad enough, apparently some editor thought the 'after' image needed to be distorted. Check out the shot - it's the first image side by side before and after from a satellite. here:

Not sure if this is the right place for this kind of post - mods feel free to move it if there is a better spot...
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2011, 3:09 PM   #2

They did the same with the Japanese tsunami tragedy.
The before AND after shots from satellites are important...especially for those of us who do not know the area, the amount of land covered, and the buildings before and after state.
Those of us who have friends or families living out there, but, without any idea of where...except by landmarks...like, 'oh, theres the high school...they live a few blocks from there, OH, my'.
It also keeps more people who brush this type of tragedy off into thinking harder...'like it really IS a BIG DEAL, Huh?'
For me, for both Japan and Missouri, it does all the above...and more...maybe gives hope others will understand more of it than a shrug and on to the next news story.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3

to the OP, im not sure what point you are trying to convey. I dont see any distortion. It's just a before and after shot... They are extremely common now a days concerning natural disasters.

can you explain further?
Old May 27, 2011, 10:12 PM   #4

are you referring to the extremely minimal change in what appears to be slight barrel distortion between the two pictures from two different satellites? You've got to be kidding me. The pictures were taken from hundreds of miles away from different satellite companies using different technologies on board.. at different angles.. at different distances... I could go on and on.

But no... you blame the editor?? Good god.. people will look for anything to complain about these days!
Old May 27, 2011, 10:55 PM   #5

Look at the football fields. The before is 435X851px and the after is 517x851px. Is that 'barrel distortion'? I recently saw a link on famously photoshopped images and this struck me (it is here). It's a small thing, but isn't everything in photography? If it was intentional, was it necessary? I'd think the damage was bad enough...

I'm honestly the last person to complain about using post processing.. You can see the evidence in my own posts here. I'm also (usually) very optimistic when it comes to editorial intentions; however, this just seemed to be obvious to me. The purpose of my original post was really a question about photographic and journalistic honesty and integrity..
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 7:16 AM   #6

I have to agree with ewheeler, it looks as if the shot was taking using different equipment or maybe slightly resized which may have distorted the image a bit. it does not look to be anything malicious.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote