Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Default Big dipper moving between two trees

3rd attempt at a decent shot with star trails, 107 30' shots ISO 640 stacked with the startrails program.

I forgot my headlamp(d'oh) so i didnt get to light the trees like I wanted but a group of people drove up and their headlights just hit the tree for some odd light patches.

I'd love to know how others may have shot this or what you guys think is wrong so I can go out and take something better next time.

Thanks,
Steve
Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:48 PM   #2

When you take these night shots and long exposures why is the sky so red? My shots are much redder than what I see here.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:24 PM   #3

G'day WS

Your pic is a good one mate - there's nothing 'wrong' with it
As to lighting the trees - maybe... sometimes I do it for the first 90seconds of the exposure - then I can unselect these shots later if I want a 'lit' vs an 'unlit' image
BTW - the startrails pgm loads the 1st camera image at the bottom of the stack [reason unknown] so it you need to unselect the 1st couple of camera images, go to the bottom of the stack to find the 1st camera image

and Bynx - the colour of the sky is light pollution from ground level reflecting off atmospheric pollution in the sky. If you were to drive 1/2 - 1 hour out from town to somewhere 'real-dark' you would see much less colour in the sky

If I may insert an image here [without asking permission from the O.P.- hope it's okay...]

This image [I am in Australia] is 520 camera images of 10secs over nearly 3 hours

If I were to shoot startrails in any of our big cities, then the skies would be 'blown' with colour from dust & pollution [ie- just like you blokes], however out "in the bush" the skies are crystal clear

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:15 PM   #4

This was only a short drive from town so as Phil said above the redness is from light pollution, I think if i shot at a lower ISO it would reduce the redness (as well as how many stars appear...).

What I like about the shot attached above is the clarity/smoothness of the trails, no gaps, very nice, what ever is in the lower left corner is begging to be lit though.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 5:15 PM   #5

I think that the stars are the important part and the trees a distraction, the colour and intensity of the star trails set against a dark background would be what I would look for in a shot like this.

The city lights reflecting of the night sky causes the camera to pick up the background redness and can be reduced with PP and desaturation.
Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6

I used to two trees to specifically frame the big dipper but I think the streaks take away from the constellation and thus the trees create more distraction, now i have some more ideas and hopefully will have a clear night again soon. Thanks for commenting!