Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:38 AM   #1

Default Low Light Theater Shots

On a recent trip to Disney World, we saw the live version of "Finding Nemo".

These are the first low light photos that I'm somewhat happy with. I was not happy with out seats, we sat on the right side of the audience about as far to the right as you could get. So there were some issues to work around.

Anyway, I'll post a few shots and look forward to your comments.

1/125 ISO 1600
lens: 70-200 canon IS
f: 2.8 @155mm
no flash
Attached Images

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:41 AM   #2

Default #2

Shot #2
Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:45 AM   #3

Default #3

Here's #3
Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:51 AM   #4

Default Disney Parade/Tour Guide

This last photo is of a "Tour Guide" who was in the Disney Animal Kingdom Parade.

1/200
ISO 400
AV mode 4.5
Flash
70 MM
Lens: 70-200 canon IS 2.8
Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:50 AM   #5

Image 1: turtle head is in focus, people are not. So as a photo this doesn't work for me. If you have to work with shallow DOF because of the need to use wide apertures you need to adjust your framing and shot selection accordingly

image 2: very awkward framing/exposure. The actor holding nemo looks to be interacting with another actor but you cut that actor/fish off. The starfish and Dori are in the frame but not exposed properly (because of the stage light on Nemo) - so again, you need to adjust your framing accordingly. Either take a shot of dori/star fish or take the shot of nemo/other actor. But the current framing doesn't work well.

image 3: the best of the lot because all the subjects are part of the story of the image. nicely done

image 4: drum is in focus, face is not - not sure if there's motion blur or what as the hat doesn't look as soft as the face - but the eyes and smile (the most important parts of this image) are the softest elements. But I can't tell why. Exif is stripped so I can't tell what values were used. I like the framing and exposure and compelling subject, but not sure what happened to the face here.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:11 PM   #6

I'd say these pictures are wow. They will surely please whoever looks at them.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:51 PM   #7

A couple of comments on the tour guide photo. First, I really like the drum visual -- it keeps appearing to me like part of the tour guide, with the drum head being her skirt and the body of the drum with the ropes appearing like her legs. I'm a sucker for that kind of visual duck/rabbit effect. OTOH, the orange pennants to the right are just distracting without adding any charm. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:08 PM   #8

The tour guide was sitting on top of a float that was in the parade. Exif info states that the subject was 3.3 meters away.

That accounts for the upward angle of the photo.

In retrospect, with a moving subject, I wonder if 1/200th is too slow of a shutter to shoot a moving subject?

The orange leaves are part of the float, they were all over the float, often obscuring her face. So getting a clear shot at her was difficult.

Even though I stated that the photo was taken at 70mm, I was using my XSi, so the 70mm was more like 112mm due to the 1.6x factor of the camera.

Sometimes I feel like the fisherman talking about the one that got away when I say, "if I had it to do over again, I'd......."
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:12 PM   #9

I dont have any issues with any of your pics. Shooting on the fly like this under adverse dark conditions you have done a pretty decent job. Id be proud to have these as memories of a nice family time.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:25 PM   #10

We took the Finding Nemo show in last fall when we travelled with family. My Daughter loved it. I was in on the left towards the end, so I feel your pain I took mine with the G11 and you can clearly see the difference between a dslr and p&s with the shots as comparison.
Since trying to get a good angle is hard at Disney shows with people in attendance, I think the photos are good examples of memories of fun times. Thanks for sharing.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote