Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Default Evolution of orton

I am really enjoying this form. I'm reading back to page 45 of the critiques and have read countless other sections. Learning a lot on the pp. In the past I thought it was cheating but it appears to be the norm so here goes with some experimentation. Many hate the orton effect but I had to put my own spin on it.

Please don't get mad about the three pics. They are the same pic just how it evolved. It's the orton that I am after.

Original:

After a lot of cloning:

This is my technique to keep the orton effect from going all wacky.
magic wand on the black.
select >> inverse.
select >> modify >> expand by 7.
select >> modify >> feather by 2.
set layer to screen mode.
duplicate layer and set to multiply.
Gaussian blur as much as you want, the selection and feather keeps things from getting out of hand.

Here it is:

C&C welcome.
Thanks
lorenww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:36 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well. the technique on the Orton looks fine. Its not a scene I would something I would use it on, but the technique looks fine.

my critique is more on the composition. its a bit uninspiring, since it is centered, but does not fill the frame. if you want to go with a center comp, i would have filled the frame with the flower more. if you wish to show the flower in the botanical garden pool to give it a little bit of context, i would go ahead and put the flower on one of the 1/3 lines and balance it with a lily pad on the other side, something like that.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:36 AM   #3

The rule of thirds is something I am coming to grips with. I am having problems with when to center a subject of go with thirds. I only learned about thirds when I joined this forum, which is one of the many reasons I joined.
I took this before I joined and in hind sight should have done it in the thirds. Thanks for the comment and am learning many new things. Somehow I tend to center everything I shoot, need to be more creative and think out of the box.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:53 AM   #4

Hi Lorenww

The idea has potential - and lily flowers can be very beautiful.

I agree with hards80 about the composition - not the most inspiring. It's good to always be open to learn, and receive C&C. (I've still got a long way to go also).

At the same time, there ARE a few times when the 'rule of thirds' can be 'broken' successfully, either using quarters or centreing. So I prefer to call it a 'guide of thirds' rather than a 'rule'.

About your photo a few thoughts:
- I think the cloning is/was justified (those brown spots / blemishes distract too much).
- The Orton effect... might work here in some ways, though my preference and character generally tends to appreciate photos that as life-like as possible
- the flower itself is a bit bright (slightly over exposed)
- Sadly with the final post processing the nice reflection was lost.

I used to 'centre' things when I first started photography (many years ago). Don't forget you can often 'crop' photos successfully for better compositions. Your photo isn't 'bad' - but yes, perhaps with some other input you can get a better outcome (& next time...)

Hope you don't mind, I did a quick crop and here is my take on what might be a better composition... It's a bit small as this is just a crop of the one you posted. But at least you have another idea.

Thanks for sharing!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:47 PM   #5

Thanks pj, that really works. I did a lot with film but only myself and a few friends saw them. With digital there is no limit. Also I like C&C. I learned a lesson from my two birds shot and now this. Your crop looks exceptional and will take this lesson to the field.

Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:57 PM   #6

Dont pay to close attention to the rule of thirds. Use common sense. If it looks good go with it. If it looks odd, then refer to the rule and see if it explains it. Otherwise rules are to be broken.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote