Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:37 AM   #1

Default Rolling Rock now at the LCBO

Ok. I had to take the train home yesterday, so I passed by our local LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario -- Where they sell our booze) and I notice a sign just inside the door . . . "NEW - Rolling Rock".

Now, I remember Rolling Rock from my weekend treks to NYC and always regretted that when I got back to TO, I wouldn't be able to get any. So, I've kinda been waiting 20 years for Rolling Rock to make it north of the border. So I walk in and pick up a few cans.

I get home and I want to post a picture to my Facebook account (My family and friends know that my two interests are cameras and beer) so I tossed the beer and a mug into the freezer, grab a camera and go to see what the sun was doing out back. This is what I captured.

CC Greatly appreciated.

[Sorry if its out of focus. I'm using my old Tamron 28-105mm f2.8 on my new Nikon D5100, which neither have a focus motor and I'm not really good at manual focus.]
Attached Images

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:41 AM   #2

Hi, Glen. The photo looks like a beer ad. Very nicely composed and, at least at this size, it appears to be very crisply in-focus. The one thing that bothers me is that, to my eye, the beer can appears not to be straight. I checked it against the edge of the display, and it is straight as an arrow. I think the appearance of being a bit skewed may be due to the dark object behind it, which is at a bit of an angle. Also, I have to question the judgment of anyone who would seek out crappy US big-brewery beer when they have so much good Canadian brew available to them!
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:14 PM   #3

tclune,

Yeah. I noticed the angle on the dark post afterward while I was looking at it on the computer. But by that time, I had lost the light and I had already drunk the beer. <grin> It's the umbrella pole, except my wife removed the base to use somewhere else, so the umbrella wobbles about.

RE: "crappy US big-brewery beer" . . .

One of the things I like about the LCBO is that they sell their beers individually, so I'm not stuck getting a whole case of something if I just want to try it out. I can get one can / bottle of something just to try it out. So I'll go there, get 4 different types of ale, a couple lagers and maybe something completely different to mix it up.

I've tried lemon beer, strawberry beer, pumpkin beer, chocolate beer, green tea beer . . . beer from Canada, the US, Mexico, UK, Ireland, China, Japan, Germany, from big breweries and from micro breweries. You never know where your personal favourite is going to come from.

After taking this picture, I posted it to my Flickr account and then found out that there are beer groups where they just ask you to post picts of beers.

That's got me inspired. <grin> The chance to combine my two hobbies (if you can count drinking beer as a hobby LOL ). To take pictures and then have to drink the beer afterwards. Darn that's just too demanding.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:48 PM   #4

Nice tin can pic of a great beer. I, too, remember being introduced to it (I thought it was soda pop) at an after-office bar in downtown NYC years ago.

Incidentally, the price seems to have dropped for Rolling Rock in my local supermarket. I buy Molson regularly among other lower-priced brews local to my region and on occasion the more expensive brands like Rolling Rock but now that it has gone down in price, I've stocked up on it, too.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:59 PM   #5

Mmmm Rolling Rock! I grew up an hour from the original brewery. It is a shame that A-B got their hands on it. There is a different taste to it now.

BTW - great pic!
divmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:42 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments! Glad to whet everyone's appetite for some beer.

I've finished off my Rolling Rock and heading back to the LCBO.

I've got a couple of different ideas I want to try out for different types of beer bottle / can shots . . . [EDIT: And yes, I guess I'll have to drink the beer afterwards. <darn>]

Take care, Glen

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Aug 14, 2011 at 7:55 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:08 PM   #7

I remember a brew called Amber Bock, from Texas. A trip to Tulsa yielded the tasty stuff, while any I found in South Kansas was terrible. Funny how storage and shipping methods can destroy a beer.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post

[Sorry if its out of focus. I'm using my old Tamron 28-105mm f2.8 on my new Nikon D5100, which neither have a focus motor and I'm not really good at manual focus.]
It's not. I like using live view for things like this. I use my old MF lenses on my D5000 zoom in on the screen to focus.

PS used to drink Rolling Rock all the time
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote