Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:29 PM   #11

Thanks for your kind comments Billy. But I have to make do with whatever models I have laying about. And thats me. My kids always give me a hassle when I get the camera out so I have to be the producer, director, cameraman and star when it comes to people photography. Thats why I usually stick to objects like buildings and cars.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:04 PM   #12

Hi Bynx

I'm glad that my critique above provided some useful feedback for you.
You're always such a lateral thinking genuis inventor to both have great ideas for photos and get powerful outcomes.

The 2nd version (different post processing) of the same photo presents quite a different look... and I agree with Mugmar, that somewhere in between 1st and 2nd might be closer the mark to what you 'want'. I realise it's very much personal taste, I'm just not a huge fan of the grunge look. So I actually like the 2nd photo much more, but realise it probably doesn't present the 'look' you're after.

Then your 3rd and 4th photos (different post processing of another photo) present a different look.... you look much more 'regal' - and I am more inclined to imagine you are smoking a cigar (rather than a cigarette). The facial expression is quality (in both)! I like both versions equally, but for different reasons. 3rd photo: mysterious, the viewing is really drawn to your eyes, nose, mouth and slightly lit fingers. 4th photo: more to your beard and hair, and the interesting wisp / background. It makes me think it's late evening and you're chilling out.

I'm jealous of vvcarpio meeting you in person. I think you are one interesting person, and it would be great if ever our paths would cross (you're welcome if you're ever in Australia to meet up). Thanks for sharing your technique and these interesting photos.

Have a good evening / night and then day. It's morning here Down Under.

Kind regards,

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:40 PM   #13

Well Paul, the invitation goes likewise to you if you are ever in Canada. It was a pleasure meeting with Billy and his family. We had a good day taking some nice pics and having a good meal. I appreciate your take on the 4 pics. Its nite here now and the computer screen really shows great detail when there is no front light shining on it. I see some bad pixelation in pic 4. I have the working parts and will continue to work on it. Im glad you can appreciate my out of box thinking. I have a few ideas for a new avenue of exploration -- gravity. Stay tuned.....hahahaha
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:41 PM   #14

Hey Bynx, I think you got it. I agree with what Paul's comments also. And if you ever make it to Nashville, look us up!

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:01 AM   #15

Thanks Mugmar. I used your comments as a guide. When that pic was first taken I had a certain look in mind. The composition remained the same but the look I wanted changed but I was able to get by that with processing. Thanks again for your input and your invite. Come to Toronto, lots to see and do here. Im sure we can put together a couple people and have a walkabout.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:22 AM   #16

Nice and original shot. Here's something i would try: the second pp with you looking straight at the camera. Just a try. It may not work...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:53 AM   #17

You remind me of the guy on the Zig Zag pack!!
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:58 AM   #18

Since I dont smoke I had to look up ZigZag. Wow that graphic logo of the guy is everywhere. Even tattooed on people. Which pack were you thinking of Ektachrome? I like the idea of the flame and some smoke being visible. I am going to try this with a real match and real cigarette if I can dig them up.
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2011, 5:28 AM   #19

I provide the inspiration...the rest is up to you
Used up many a pack of Zig Zag back in the day
Attached Images

Last edited by Ektachrome; Aug 14, 2011 at 5:34 AM.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote