Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:01 AM   #1

Default An Artist at Work!

Hey All,

This is my first image for critique in this forum. Hope to get constructive feedback from you all.

This is an image I took just a few days before the independence day of my country, Pakistan, and caught this guy making a tomb on a nearby beach of one of the pioneers of our independence movement.

This is also one of the very few images I have edited in B&W and I'm still learning about the medium. Any help in how to enhance certain areas of the picture would be appreciated.

Zee

Attachment 180478
Attached Images

Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:24 AM   #2

This may seem like a stupid comment (it wouldn't be my first!), but I would prefer the composition if the man were turned around. If he were facing toward the sand sculpture, there would be a greater unity to my mind. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:36 AM   #3

In a word: Flat
B&W almost always calls for contrast, IMO.
Also I think this would work better cropped to a square. There is too much wasted space.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:19 AM   #4

@tjsnaps

Did what you said. Also enhanced the contrast a bit.

Name:  DSC_1685cropped.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  205.4 KB

@tclune

I think that composition would look nice.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:38 AM   #5

To my eye, the cropped version is too claustrophobic. I prefer the original composition, but I suppose it depends on what you are trying to convey. One man's "wasted space" is another man's "context." (But, if you revert to the original composition, be sure to straighten the horizon.)
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:46 AM   #6

I actually like both. I think the cropped version puts more focus on the subject. I'll straighten the horizon in the uncropped version like you suggested.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:43 AM   #7

I like how the man's arched back is similar to the line of the top of the castle.

Agree about horizon, contrast, direction he's facing. It would be a stronger image if the 4 items on the ground behind him and the castle were not there, though obviously you might not have any influence over that.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:41 PM   #8

@ItDontMeanAThing

Very interesting observation. I wasnt too focused on the things behind the guy and the tomb. I was actually very close as I was shooting at 38mm and could have asked him to hide the things or put them aside or even stood him facing the tomb but this image is part of my assignment where we were instructed to shoot real world images. Honestly that composition didnt even cross my mind. Maybe if I had waited a few more minutes I might have got the exact shot.

In fact the dilemma is, should I actually edit a real world image? The integrity of the image changes once you edit it. Thoughts on this would also be welcome.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeshane View Post
In fact the dilemma is, should I actually edit a real world image? The integrity of the image changes once you edit it. Thoughts on this would also be welcome.
Well, if you're a journalist, I guess there is the assumption or trust that you are portraying things honestly.

Of course, that's if it is important to the picture.

With perspective and getting up and walking around, or shooting from above or below, you're still taking a "real" world picture that may seem different because its not the regular perspective that we are used to. Or you can put things that are important to you closer so they have more impact than other things. Or move around to eliminate things that you don't find important or interesting out of the picture.

Now, the question is, is this real world? Its "unedited" after the picture is taken, but you've totally decided what's in the picture and what has more weight or importance.

. . . just to continue the thought and question . . .

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeshane View Post
@ItDontMeanAThing

The integrity of the image changes once you click the shutter. Every thing you do changes reality. Lens choice, settings, in the old days the type of film you used and dark room work. Even the shooting position and the angle you choose is editing. I have always said "The camera may not lie, but the photographer lies his azz off" And photojournalist are the biggest liers on the planet. The bottom line: If you edit conveys the feeling you had when you took the pic. Then your integrity is intact.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote