Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:15 PM   #1

Default Mountain Tree

A cool looking tree in the Rocky Mountains. Hope you enjoy!

MissKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:52 PM   #2

Great shot MissKay, thanks for sharing.

Jeff

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:28 PM   #3

Thank you
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:01 PM   #4

Great view! Yes. Interesting tree! I like the PP. (I'm assuming you did something to get the vignetting.)

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:24 PM   #5

Since this is the critique section, let me say the following: it's a good basic setting for a photograph, but the photography itself is all wrong to my eye. The vignetting is just irritating, the tree seems more like something that got in the way of the shot than a feature, and there is too much haze. Here's what I would suggest for improving the composition:
1. Get rid of the vignetting and add a CPL. The CPL should cut down on the haze substantially.
2. Move the tree to the side. It should go as far right as it will go, so that the valley is unobstructed in the center of the shot. Formally, the tree would be more an ornament to the valley shot, with its curvature providing a sense of framing on that side. If possible, you would want the live tree to provide a comparable frame on the left side, which should be doable if you could move closer or zoom in a bit between the two trees. FWIW

Last edited by tclune; Aug 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:03 PM   #6

Nice exposure on the tree. Its not completely backlit, so it shows some surface texture and feature visible. Good use of low color saturation in the background because it makes the tree pop.

It took me a minute to figure out why your point of view just seemed right. The tree trunk takes a big left turn. Above the horizontal portion of the trunk in the background are wooded slopes and below it the slopes are mostly bare. The river runs between two parallel branches. The three combine to draw the eye in a circle around the main subject.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:09 PM   #7

Thanks for all your comments. I'm a newbie when it comes to photography so I don't know much. I just liked the idea of this photo and thought I'd give it a shot.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:35 AM   #8

Hi I would look at the rule of thirds the tree is middle of the picture, there are 2 other trees that catch the eye too. I think I would look at what you are taking The actual picture of the valley is a great shot in its self. I would look at maybe a n grad filter or even a cp filter to improve the shot. If its the tree that you want blur the background so that it takes nothing away from the subject. As I said before the valley makes a great shot. good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:54 AM   #9

Hi Kay

I like the idea, and for me - it works. While of the 'rule of thirds' often works better - not always. In this case, I think the fact the tree is in centre really is ok (given the nature of the shot, subject and background).

Hard exposure to nail (without a tricky HDR photo or some fancy post-processing) - so I think you've got it very good here - the amount of bright background light while still maintaining some detail in the tree (as previously mentioned by ItDontMeanAThing).

However I do agree with Tclune's first point - the vignetting (and perhaps the haze) are rather distracting - though this can be a personal preference.

Well done. Thanks for sharing

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:37 PM   #10

Hey Kay,

The overall composition of the photograph looks ok to me. The vignetting is distracting as has been pointed out before. You can do a lot of good stuff in PP with this picture and it will also give you ideas about how to get rid of the haze in the background and make the tree pop more. If you use Photoshop, use levels and curves to correct/manipulate the exposure of the background. Use the same technique to brighten the tree and bring out details. Its going to be challenging but if I were you, I'd use this picture as good PP practice.

Zee
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote