Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Well Paul if Aug 31 is your birthday thats also my daughters. Belated Happy Birthday.
Your shot worked out well. I just bought a 0-8 ND filter. Looking forward to trying it out when my camera gets back from Nikon. Did you use a ND filter or was it dark enough for a long exposure?
G'day Bynx

Thanks for your kind birthday wishes. Yes, my birthday is the last day of southern hemispherian winter (31 Aug). Neat to think that's a special day to both myself and you (for your daughter).

I'm glad to hear that you think my shot worked out well. This photo was taken with my Canon 15-85mm lens which uses 72mm filters. I have a number of filters, including 3 for 72mm (ND, polariser and UV. The latter I use mainly for 'sea spray protection'). Yes, I did use the 8 ND filter to achieve the shot. Actually I also stacked my polariser on top of that, to help reduce the reflections of the sky in much of the water too.

It certainly wasn't dark, though it wasn't bathed in direct sun-light either. However the small river being in a fairly 'open' valley, with lots of bright (morning) sky above, even down to ISO100 (my Canon 7D's lowest ISO setting) and an aperture of about f16 - the exposure was way too quick without filter. So I achieved the result that way. I've found the ND filter really helps for the 'smooth water' effects, and at times the polariser is of additional assistance.

A year ago we had some 'floods' with unusual amount of steady late winter rain and then a few days of heavy rain. What 'flood' means in Adelaide (the driest capital city in Australia) is not like in some other parts of Australia - where houses and suburbs or huge areas of 'outback' get flooded. Rather it mean a few small rivers burst their banks (just) - and in this case the dam overflowed.

The 2 following photos are of the same river, but about 10 to 15 minutes drive further up the road. I had just purchased my ND8 72mm filter back then, and had it stacked with the polariser with the same camera / lens combination (7D with 15-85mm) when I took these photos.

The first of these photos (below) shows the 'slow' exposure possibility; again because there was a reasonable amount of light from an open sky - not sunny, but light-grey overhead, and the water itself - which I was metering from - was churning and thus white and reasonably bright.
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:28 PM   #12

And this photo shows what it would normally be exposed at (without filters), showing the water 'caught in action' at 1/200 of a second - whereas the previous photo was taken at 1/3 second (water flowing very fast over a long distance, hence the smooth effect).

When I took these 2 photos, I had not anticipated or meant them as a direct comparison. But I think it does show the photo outcome possibilities that a ND filter (& polariser) filter can offer, particularly for flowing water in reasonably light or bright conditions.

Bynx.... sorry for the long reply. I just wanted to share some of my playing around / practising with the ND filter.

When you wrote that you have a 0-8 ND filter, does that mean it is variable between 0 and 8 EV exposure difference (you can adjust that somehow?) OR that one part (eg top half) is dark and the bottom half is bright? (which you might be able to rotate as needed?) My filter is not gradient nor adjustable.

I will keep an eye out for your photos on this theme, Bynx. When will you get your camera back from Nikon? I look forward to seeing your photos, as I appreciate your work and imagination.

Best regards,

Paul
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:06 PM   #13

Thanks for your info on ND use. The ND filter I have goes from 0 to 8 ND. It rotates like a polarizing filter. Cost a hundred bucks so I hope to get some good things from it. It will help with some winter glaring snow shots Im sure. As for your last two shots I think I like the texture of the water in the second shot. It would be neat to be underneath and behind the water in that little pocket I see.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:56 AM   #14

Great shot and thanks for the BTS infor on how you use filters to get the shot. Going to have to get a ND filter, then again I have been saying that for years.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:37 PM   #15

@Bynx - I appreciate you explaining how your ND filter goes from 0 to 8ND, and I look forward to seeing some photos from you using it. Yes, I also like the texture in the 2nd 'big waterfall' shot.
Our minds work similarly - I also thought how good it would be to get behind and under the waterfall, in that small pocket of area there. Sadly (and 'safely') this land is owned by SA (South Australian) Water Corporation - so it's 'out of bounds' (and there are signs everywhere indicating trespassers prosecuted). Sort of understandable though, because I could imagine people not being careful or safe enough, slipping and dying in the rapids all too easily (some people, particularly - but not only the young ones) - think they are almost immortal when the addrenelin is rushing! :-)

@Calicajun - many thanks for your kind comments, and I'm glad you like the shot. With pleasure, to give a bit of BTS info as to my use on filters to get the shot(s). Please do let us know if you get an ND filter, and I look, forward to seeing the results. Best wishes and regards,

Paul
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:36 PM   #16

G'die Mate, makes me want to grab my bilabong and trek out to the woomera and have a nice Aussie picnic of roasted Goanna and Joey fingers. Isn't it nice to know that someone in Texas knows so much about Australia? Your photo was welldone and captured the feel of the softly running stream. I'm a sucker for live water which we have little of in Texas.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:25 PM   #17

G'day Streets

Many thanks for your 'Aussie' greetings... it brought a smile to your face to read the 'Aussie-isms' all the way from Texas. Well done on the knowledge of 'Down Under'. Where do you know this from?

Also, I appreciate your kind words about the photo. I was very pleased with how it turned out. I grew up in Tasmania ("Tassie") for 20-odd years, which has many many more streams, rivers, mountains than South Australia (where I've been the past 4 and a half years). I lived in Europe for over a decade too, so I appreciate the variety of landscapes in particular. I hope to travel further around and within South Australia and share photos here on Steve's forums. South Australia is the driest state of Australia... so we are often very dry here in summers (November - March).

Cheers... Have a good evening mate.

Paul
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:04 PM   #18

G'day Streets

& as a follow on ... if you can make it out here for a month or three, I'll be happy to show you round parts of outback Oz

We're just finishing 8-months on the road, only covered 25,000km so far, and have just had a great 10-days in South Australia's Flinders Ranges area

ps- and if/when you can make it, bring that 1000mm ex-ruski MTO-bazooka with you for the wildlife

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:12 AM   #19

Very nice - like it a lot.
daclick is offline   Reply With Quote