Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:00 AM   #1

Default Silky stream in the Adelaide hills

Hello Photo Critiques friends.

Yesterday was my birthday. The day before I went for a 'photo outing' drive with a friend for about 5 hours in the Adelaide Hills (South Australia). I had taken 6 days off work, and planned this as part of one of my 'days off'.

This particular photo was accomplished by lying on my stomach, on an angled rock, trying to not roll into the water, meanwhile being steady as it was a long exposure shot to get the 'smooth water' look.

Ah... the challenges of photography. I think I succeeded (at least I didn't get wet!)

I'd like your (honest) comments on the photo. Many thanks!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:13 AM   #2

Mission accomplished nicely done and happy birthday
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:36 AM   #3

I have a visceral dislike for "cotton candy" water shots. Not only are they trite, they are completely artifactual. However, this shot works for me -- I have seen water that looks just like that to my eye. You didn't overdo the softening. Well done.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4

@Wave01 - many thanks for your 'agreement' with the mission accomplished, and your kind birthday wishes.

@tclune - your comment, then, makes me feel particularly pleased - as I very much wanted to portray a natural feeling (without an 'artificial' / too overdone look). So I'm glad that you wrote that you've seen water just like that. Cheers.

Regards... Paul
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:22 PM   #5

G'day Paul

This I like ~ well done
Not only the photo-taking technique, but the location of the camera in relation to the water makes it outstanding -or should I say 'lying-down'
For you to hand-hold the camera for one second or so to get this shot, cracker sharp too, is a credit to you

ps- & happy birthday too ... another one under your belt - you'll be as old as me one of these days !!!
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:29 AM   #6

Well done. Excellent color and motion blur on the water. POV obviously gives a good view of the foreground water, but it also has strong composition lines that draw the eye upstream but not out of the frame.

This reminded me of the slogan of the defunct Olympia beer: "It's the water".
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:50 PM   #7

@Ozzie - G'day and many thanks for your kind comments. Ha ha... you're a joker mate, yes - lying down 'on the job' I was! I did have my arms / elbow supported by a rock to help with steadiness. And the Canon 15-85mm lens' IS helps too Cheers for the birthday wishes... one day I'll catch up to you... lol.

@ItDontMeanAThing - I appreciate it that you commented on the composition lines. As I showed to my friend (who I was giving some photo tutition to) - by standing up those lines / separation of foreground water and the 'layers' (almost like separate tables of water flowing into each other) just were not emphasised. I can't remember the Olympia beer ad... (not sure it aired here in Australia) - but yes, as far as I know... good quality water makes a difference (though I just don't like beer in any form!) :-)

Thanks again

Paul
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:55 PM   #8

Great shot, makes me want to dip my toes in! Love the Adelaide Hills so thanks for sharing.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:02 PM   #9

Well Paul if Aug 31 is your birthday thats also my daughters. Belated Happy Birthday.
Your shot worked out well. I just bought a 0-8 ND filter. Looking forward to trying it out when my camera gets back from Nikon. Did you use a ND filter or was it dark enough for a long exposure?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy View Post
Great shot, makes me want to dip my toes in! Love the Adelaide Hills so thanks for sharing.
Thanks Banksy for your post.

I'm glad that the photo gives that feeling of 'wanting to dip your toes in' - though what the photo probably does show not is that (being a 'mild end of winter day') the day temperature was about 10 degrees (being a bit up in the hills, and still morning) - and the water was very 'fresh' indeed! I didn't 'dip my toes in' (though I did feel it and splash with my hands). Even though I'm a Tassie boy originally and have lived in 'cold Europe' - I wasn't that game to freeze my toes off

I also love the Adelaide Hills. I live only 7 minutes drive away from the Hills, so frequently on weekends or days off I'll go for walks in the hills. This photo was taken about 15 to 20 minutes drive away from my home. I hope to visit that spot again in the future (maybe in the spring when the water and weather will feel warm enough to dip my toes in).

Cheers again

Paul