Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 24, 2011, 2:53 AM   #1

Default Shower of Light

I took this picture in the morning before i went to work.
I'm a beginner, so comments and critics are welcome

the title of the picture is "Shower of Light"

Description :

The shower of blinding light of a morning sun shines through...
Providing "life" to those who needs it.
and bringing hope to those who were "shadowed".
joenathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2011, 1:17 PM   #2

My only criticism Joenathan is to try to take a controlled image. One in which you control how the pic looks. If it was your intention to shoot an overexposed image you did that all right. Now its very bright. Use your camera to give a good exposure. Texture and detail in all parts of the image. After you learn to do that then go artsy fartsy. I like the composition and think maybe you have a good eye.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
My only criticism Joenathan is to try to take a controlled image. One in which you control how the pic looks. If it was your intention to shoot an overexposed image you did that all right. Now its very bright. Use your camera to give a good exposure. Texture and detail in all parts of the image. After you learn to do that then go artsy fartsy. I like the composition and think maybe you have a good eye.
thanks for the comment, im eager to learn
1 question tho, do you think that i should play with white balance as well on this picture ?

p.s : if you dont mind, regarding the texture and details, could you specify more on what should i have done with it ? thanks
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:44 AM   #4

There is no problem with the white balance. Looks like sunlight to me. I usually leave my WB on auto unless Im specifically shooting incandescent or fluorescent etc. then I will change it. Problem with that is I usually forget to change it back. There is no EXIF data with your file so I cant tell what fstop or shutter speed you used. Since nothing is moving you should have closed your fstop down to get maximum depth of field. Then exposed accordingly. If I was shooting it, I would have made 3 exposures for HDR.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
There is no problem with the white balance. Looks like sunlight to me. I usually leave my WB on auto unless Im specifically shooting incandescent or fluorescent etc. then I will change it. Problem with that is I usually forget to change it back. There is no EXIF data with your file so I cant tell what fstop or shutter speed you used. Since nothing is moving you should have closed your fstop down to get maximum depth of field. Then exposed accordingly. If I was shooting it, I would have made 3 exposures for HDR.
at that time the setting was :
Exposure Time : 1/400 sec
F Number : f 3.2
and thanks for the tips.... appreciate it
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:32 PM   #6

The composition,I feel,is quite nice....but the over-exposure kills it for me- unless you were trying to attain that look...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenathan View Post
...regarding the texture and details...
I wish I could remember where I learned this trick but it is what really showed me what over and under exposed technically means. At first I was thinking 'too light' or 'too dark' in the eye of the beholder, which is usually true, but if you have access to an editor like photoshop, where you use the levels or brightness/contrast adjustment, you can adjust a picture to one extreme or the other and use that as a measure of if a picture is 'technically' over or under exposed. (apart from a perfectly valid artsi-fartsi look Bynx mentioned) This just means there are lots of pixels in the picture that are pure white or pure black. In this example you see that the walls while bright, are nicely exposed, at the regular setting it looks white, but there is something to it. When you darken it down beyond where you would actually have the picture, you can easily see there are 'details and texture' visible because the pixels have some information in them. The areas in the window and the white patches on the leaves and so-forth are pure white or 'blown out' and usually not desired.
Attached Images

rmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:52 AM   #8

Thank you for the detailed explanation...
I actually did edit the exposure of this picture.
And it is true, i purposely to make it over-exposed, because it makes the picture "cleaner".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuir View Post
I wish I could remember where I learned this trick but it is what really showed me what over and under exposed technically means. At first I was thinking 'too light' or 'too dark' in the eye of the beholder, which is usually true, but if you have access to an editor like photoshop, where you use the levels or brightness/contrast adjustment, you can adjust a picture to one extreme or the other and use that as a measure of if a picture is 'technically' over or under exposed. (apart from a perfectly valid artsi-fartsi look Bynx mentioned) This just means there are lots of pixels in the picture that are pure white or pure black. In this example you see that the walls while bright, are nicely exposed, at the regular setting it looks white, but there is something to it. When you darken it down beyond where you would actually have the picture, you can easily see there are 'details and texture' visible because the pixels have some information in them. The areas in the window and the white patches on the leaves and so-forth are pure white or 'blown out' and usually not desired.