Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:50 PM   #1

Default my first wedding

I was sort of the back up photographer for a friend's wedding. This meant there was no pressure on me. I thought I could jump in when the paid photographer was changing lens or going through his equipment bag. That was fine with the bride and groom. The photographer scolded me...telling me he doesn't permit anyone taking pics of his poses. The only time I tried that was after the ceremony at the church when he had the wedding party at the alter for a pose. I understand...he's getting paid. Alhough it's not like that pose was anything out of the ordinary. At the reception, he said I could take whatever I wanted. I was using a d90 and several lenses. The one below was taken outside the church with the AFS 35mm dx prime. I used to dj at many weddings...so I now I'm looking at it from a different direction. I'd love some thoughts on this one and which version, in your opinion looks the best...thanks all
Attached Images

Last edited by gregg; Oct 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:17 PM   #2

I prefer the full colour version - maybe just try and lighten up the face which is in shadow.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:42 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I agree with Martin, exposure is key on the face in 99.9% of portraits so I would really try to pick that up.

As for the shot itself, there isn't too much going on, we can't see the bride too well and the other party isn't there so we don't have that connection either. The high angle you are shooting from is cool so if you have any others from up there would be good to see them, why not put a selection in the people part of the forum
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:29 PM   #4

I agree with the dark issue....the problem I'm having is right now I'm using a dell inspiron laptop and depending upon the angle I view the screen the brightness can vary quite a bit as I have no control factor over what is the correct angle. But I'm learning. I also realized that I have to be more aware of where the people are standing in relation to each other for a pose...I had only seconds to work with anyone or just capture them candidly on the spot....on the group shot below I told them to slap, point, etc to the groom for the shot. Yes I have to work on those...I was just messing around with it in PS...And the one guy is looking the wrong way...and 2 have their eyes closed and there is a water bottle I have to take out....although I think I can cut and paste their eyes from one of the others
Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg View Post
I'd love some thoughts on this one and which version, in your opinion looks the best
She looks better in color, the dress looks better in B&W. The color version separates her skin tones from background better than B&W. In B&W the distinction between hair & veil is muddled and the veil is less ethereal. Finally B&W emphasizes the streaks in her hair, and not in a good way - but I've never cared much for streaked hair.

Personally, I find candid (or what appear to be candid) wedding pictures more appealing than the posed ones. Can't imagine how difficult it is to shoot such moments because you get one chance. I see this as one moment of a wedding, not a portrait. I like that the person handing the bouquet is seen only as hands & arm because this photo, like much of a wedding, is all about the bride.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:59 AM   #6

I like the full color pics across the board. I have tried the B&W or partial B&W to save an otherwise bland photo, but I don't think it's needed here. Good work on capturing those candids. Having shot a wedding once, I realize how difficult it is to orchestrate. The formals were hard enough, in terms of getting the crowd to comply, and the opportunities for interesting candids was nearly nil.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Personally, I find candid (or what appear to be candid) wedding pictures more appealing than the posed ones. Can't imagine how difficult it is to shoot such moments because you get one chance.

I agree and yes it was difficult but i took the ones that I could. I am still going through the church pics....I was in the corner up front trying to hide and not be seen...their photographer was mostly in the center or back of the church....

oh the ones with them sitting with their back to me was sort of an engagement photo...they wanted me to shoot a few at the bench where he proposed....I shot it a week before the wedding.

I did this so I might be able to do some weddings in the future...you have to show you can shoot a wedding to shoot weddings

thanks everyone for the comments
Attached Images

Last edited by gregg; Oct 24, 2011 at 4:34 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:24 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Some nice shots gregg, but seriously stay well away from the selective coloring.

I think I have seen maybe 5 shots in my whole life where it worked. The rest it varies between silly and horrible. Here it's horrible.

I'm not feeling the BW conversions either; they look like a simple desaturation to me and really just a bad digital conversion. So the standard color ones are the best.

You definitely have captured some excellent moments. So the source material is grade A, processing is a C at the moment, but it's definitely the right way round to have it.

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 23, 2011 at 6:39 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:42 AM   #9

I like the full colour shots best myself As for the pro photographer i personally think he wants to learn some manners and realise that hes probally getting well paid to do a job and unless your actually getting in his way should realise its meant to be the Brides day not his
ardgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgart View Post
i personally think he wants to learn some manners and realise that hes probally getting well paid to do a job and unless your actually getting in his way should realise its meant to be the Brides day not his

I agree but I understand that he is getting paid and mine was just a gift to them for extra shots...I guess you can't have enough.....he was being a pain when they got out of the limo though....he could have said...ok you have one min take yours....he didn't want me there then either, but I still got some. He did let me do anything I wanted to (not that he could stop anyone) at the reception once cocktails and dinner was on....

As far as color vs black and white....on some of them I was trying to hide any noise due to higher ISO's....although the d90 does an excellent job in that area...

It was kind of wierd how I turned them to black and whites....my older computer was having a real hard time keeping up with large images (too low memory and processor speed)...I batch processed them from raw to jpg in photoscape it's A LOT faster then the nikon software....I have to learn more on working with RAW...after turning them into jpg, some of them I removed the color in PS...by converting them into a greyscale image...then I tried bringing up the contrast and midtones in shadows and highlights in PS....I guess they looked better on my screen...I'd love some suggestions as to how to add punch to either bw or color in PS.

As far as BW goes, I've read that many photographers prefer BW because it gives the photo an elegant look and brings out a quality they don't get from their photos printed at walmart....but as I am new to weddings so you may be right....I should open a thread with a pole asking that question....be interesting to see the results...

Oh....I need an opinion as to the one with all the guys in front of the church...not the color or bw or post processing...but....what do you think about the guy facing the other way?...some have said it ads to the spontaneity of the photo....I wasn't sure if it looks like I just forgot to tell him to turn the other way and detracts from the photo?

thanks again for all of your input!

Gregg

Last edited by gregg; Oct 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM.