Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:16 AM   #1

Default Two Buddhists talking

Other than the overcooked sky and upper left background, I like this one well enough to ask for comments and criticisms. That's unusual because I think most of my candid shots are not very good and so don't show them to anyone.

The two women are on a multi-day intensive 'seminar' (for lack of the proper term) at a Buddhist temple. Photo taken during one of the periods when they were allowed to talk.
Attached Images

ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:39 PM   #2

The focus seems off - it appears the middle step is sharper than their faces. Obviously I don't know what the rest of the scene looked like, but it might have been more dramatic to be zoomed out a bit more - possibly to include all of the writing on the steps and to frame the left side with more of the column instead of it being sliced off.
jerwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwilhelm View Post
The focus seems off - it appears the middle step is sharper than their faces.
I noticed the same. Also, I would prefer a composition that does not include the trees, sky and wires to the left. Just the ladies with the statues in the background would be more interesting IMO.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I went back and forth between this crop and a vertical one that eliminated the background vegetation on the left. Didn't like either result, but liked the vertical crop less because it seemed so cramped.

Good catch on the focus. I deliberately set the autofocus on the front of the step the woman on the right is stitting on. Why? To soften the faces. Back in the film era I read a tip about this as a technique for when one didn't have a soft focus portrait lens. Now it's probably easier to do in post processing but that's not in my skill set yet.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:04 AM   #5
Administrator

BTW, one thing that you may want to be aware of is that I see that photo was resized and/or recompressed by our forums software. That can make images appear softer and strips out any EXIF data in them.

When you click on the paperclip icon when making a post, and bring up the Manage Attachments screen to attach images to posts here, you'll see the maximum sizes supported for each file type. For most image types, the maximum size in dimensions must not exceed 1024 pixels on the longest side, and the file size should not exceed 253.9KB.

If you do exceed the maximum allowed sizes (either file size or dimensions), the forums software is going to try and resize and recompress the images, and the compression algorithms are not very good. The libraries we use will also strip out the EXIF information from images if the forums try to resize or recompress them.

So, it's a good idea to make sure any images you attach are within the maximum allowed sizes for both dimensions and file size to prevent the forums software from modifying them (as that can result in softer photos).

With most image editors, if you keep the size of your photos so that the dimensions are around 800 to 1024 pixels or shorter on the longest side, and use a jpeg quality setting of around 80 to 85% (or 8 if using a 1 to 10 scale), that will keep the file size within limits so that the forums software won't try to modify them.

My guess is is that you just had your JPEG Quality set very high in your editor when you downsized it, and so it exceeded the maximum file size allowed here for an image (253.9KB). As a result, the forums software recompressed it and stripped out any EXIF data that was in it.

As long as you do not exceed the maximum allowed sizes, the forums software will not modify images you attach.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:42 AM   #6

ItDontMeanAThing,

Why did you want the faces to be soft?

brad
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:25 PM   #7

JimC - Thanks. I keep finding news ways of adjusting to a larger sensor camera.

>Why did you want the faces to be soft?

For the same reason soft focus portrait lenses and foundation makeup exist: faces look more attractive.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:33 PM   #8

I see what you're saying but I think in this case the subjects are too far away for that to be worth it.

brad