rle

Default Sedona AZ

D7000, 10/24 lens
Attached Images

rle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:23 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I like the composition...makes my eye follow the scape from the foreground to the rock. Colors looks a bit flat or washed out on my monitor. I tried a bit of editing in PSE...hope you don't mind.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:00 AM   #3
rle

Hello Wingman, I agree the origanal is washed out, your color boost is an improvement.

The pic info is, fl 19mm, ss 1/125, apert. 7.1, ex comp none. Should I have under exposed a stop?

Last edited by rle; Nov 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:36 AM   #4

Rle, I'm a bit puzzled by the results shot in program mode. Typically, a mid range aperture like 7.1 and a shutter speed of 1/125th for a focal length of 19 mm, should have produced a fairly well balanced and sharp image. I noticed that your original was a bit blurry...not sure if it was camera shake or lens distortion. What lens were you using?

The only other factor would be time of day. I noticed from your EXIF data that the picture time says 4.52 PM which should have resulted in a good tonal balance vs. shooting at mid day with the strong sun overhead. The latter will tend to wash out the colors.

What's your experience been shooting with the D7000 in general? If all of your images are like this, I'd try the following:

a. Use this link to confirm the settings in your camera. I used KR's guides for my D300s and D90 and they produce nice rich results.http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70...uide/index.htm

If the above does not work, you may want to have it looked at for calibration.

Jehan
Old Nov 12, 2011, 5:08 PM   #5

Interestingly,although the original looks a bit "flat" in terms of lighting,I suspect that was actually pretty close to the original scene. This kind of environment can have a sunbaked "washed out" appearence.
However,sometimes a "tweak" can appeal more to viewers...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 5:10 PM   #6

My tweak... involved levels adjust,a bit of foreground "burning" and saturation to greens,yellows,blues and reds. And a dash of unsharp mask...
Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:59 AM   #7
rle

Default wingman

The camera is new & my experience is nezt to nil. The exif time is not correct, should be -3 hrs for EDT to MST. The lens is Nikon 10/24. I picked that photo to post cause I liked the comp.

Check out two attached, see if they are better for focus & color.
Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rle View Post
Check out two attached, see if they are better for focus & color.
Color is improved in the second set. I think pictures could be sharper especially with a wide angle lens--depth of field should be plenty to keep everything in focus. The second image looks like if front focused a bit (i.e. wall is sharper than the rest).

This is typical of what I get with my D300s + Fish Eye. Image is from Zion NP last month.

Jehan
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:12 PM   #9

I think the exposure on the OP image is good enough for editing, as the suggestions have already shown. The 2 later shots are both a little underexposed. Did you use Matrix or CWA metering? My view is that the foreground is too busy in both Sedona shots. Of course some of that could be cropped out easily enough. Composition on the Grand Canyon shot is a little odd in that the figure is facing outward. Usually makes more sense to have the person looking in the direction of the center of the frame.

Kelly Cook
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:46 PM   #10

Hi rle- as mentioned above the other 2 you posted are a bit underexposed- suggesting a change of metering may be in order..!
This may be closer to the original scene....?
Attached Images