Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Default Boone Hall Plantation Brial Portrait

Boone Hall Plantation Bridal Portrait. Sharing Pictures

chiphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:42 AM   #2

As this is in the "critique" section- here goes...
Too much brightness behind your subject- exposing for the background/focusing on the subject and filling in with the flash would make her stand out.
Exposure aside- there is also too much in the picture,taking attention away from your subject- she looks part of the picture,as opposed to "being" the picture...
That's my take anyway...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:01 PM   #3

Thank you for your critique.
chiphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
As this is in the "critique" section- here goes...
Too much brightness behind your subject- exposing for the background/focusing on the subject and filling in with the flash would make her stand out.
Exposure aside- there is also too much in the picture,taking attention away from your subject- she looks part of the picture,as opposed to "being" the picture...
That's my take anyway...
Mine too
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:54 PM   #5

While Simon40 made a number of excellent points, the thing that most strikes me is the perspective is designed to make the bride look like a giant. What bride would want that?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:54 AM   #6

Wedding photos exist in a separate universe, IMHO. The quality of pictures of the bride is generally judged by two rules: 1)The bride determines if it's a good shot. 2) See #1. They're also best judged by the contemporary conventions of wedding pictures. I don't know nothin' about that. Finally, they're intended to be viewed a set. The quality of any one image is as much about it's role in the set as it is about how it stands alone.

Background too light? True, it means she doesn't stand out. It also does a good job of continuing the white on white color theme found throughout wedding clothes, venues and decorations.

Too much fence & gate? Maybe the location has special meaning to the couple.

Makes her look like a giant? Don't little girls dream about one day dressing like a princess and being the center of attention on a day that will change her life forever? Every first time bride I've known somehow seemed more fully alive during the reception then at any other time. Just how could one capture in a photograph such a larger than life feeling?
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:47 PM   #7

Hi I have seen this in another forum and there take is different to here but it is in a wedding forum there. My view is that the bride either looks to tall or she is to small. I cant make my mind up IMHO I wouldnt have shoot from such a low angle
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Wedding photos exist in a separate universe, IMHO. The quality of pictures of the bride is generally judged by two rules: 1)The bride determines if it's a good shot. 2) See #1. They're also best judged by the contemporary conventions of wedding pictures. I don't know nothin' about that. Finally, they're intended to be viewed a set. The quality of any one image is as much about it's role in the set as it is about how it stands alone.

Background too light? True, it means she doesn't stand out. It also does a good job of continuing the white on white color theme found throughout wedding clothes, venues and decorations.

Too much fence & gate? Maybe the location has special meaning to the couple.

Makes her look like a giant? Don't little girls dream about one day dressing like a princess and being the center of attention on a day that will change her life forever? Every first time bride I've known somehow seemed more fully alive during the reception then at any other time. Just how could one capture in a photograph such a larger than life feeling?
Bingo. This picture is a pretty tame example of the modern wedding style. Just like with other modern portraiture it often breaks the traditional "rules" of photography. It's all subjective. The people who like it are going to hire people like the OP, the traditionalists are going to hire traditional style photograpehers.

If you feel that this is technically bad then you should check out the websites of some of the top wedding photographers in the country. You'll be horrified by all the blown-out backgrounds, wide-angle lenses, massive negative spaces, washed-out faces, flares, unconventional poses, etc.. I would link you to a couple of my favorites but I don't want to do that in the OP's thread so PM me if you're interested.

Personally, I love the style! :P

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote