Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:18 PM   #1

Default What do we think of this?

hi, so it's my daughter again..... I changed the way I did it. I used the flash button to make flash brighter, I also set iso to 100 as opposed to higher I used last time, I used portrait mode on the camera and I made sure to process it and lighten it up a bit.

hope this one's better I posted the last one in family member area i think
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:26 PM   #2

and Jim I hope I made this small enough, I went into photo shop and resized the image. My daughter is loving being my model to help me get a handle on how to use this camera lol.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:45 PM   #3
Administrator

Actually, no, you didn't. ;-)

The file size should be no larger than 253.9KB, and the largest dimension should be no longer than 1024 pixels.

I can tell from looking at the JPEG comments that our forums software resized and/or recompressed that image, because it exceeded the maximum allowed sizes here.

If you "right click" on an image from Windows Explorer and select "Properties", then click on the Details tab, you can see both the dimensions and file size.

If either one exceeds the maximum allowed here, then the forums software is going to resize and/or recompress an image, and that usually makes it softer, and strips out the EXIF information.

What JPEG quality setting were you using?

Usually, if you resize and image to 1024 pixels or less on it's longest side, and use a JPEG quality setting of around 8, that keeps the file size within limits. If the file size is still too large, either downsize it to a smaller size in dimensions, or use a lower JPEG quality setting.

Try 800 pixels and a JPEG quality setting of around 8 if the file size is still too big (it should be no larger than 253.9KB).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:50 PM   #4
Administrator

Another way to see an image size is to use a "Mouse Over" when browsing folders. For example, see this screen capture where I used the Paperclip icon and clicked on the Browse button to see images on my hard drive. When I hold the mouse over an image, Windows (at least Win 7) gives you file size and dimensions.

If you want even more info, right click on one, then select Properties, then click on the details tab. But, you can see basic file size and dimensions info just by using a mouse over (moving your cursor over an image file in a folder you're browsing and waiting for info to appear about it).

But, most of the time, if an image downsized so that it's 1024 pixels or smaller on it's longest side and you use a jpeg quality setting of around 80% (or 8, depending on the type of scale it uses) when you save the downsized image, you'll be within the max file size allowed.

In the case of the below screen capture using one of the sample pictures that came with Win 7, it would be too large, since the mouse over is showing a size of 858KB, so I could expect that the forums would resize and recompress it (since it exceeds the maximum allowed file size of 253.9KB).

Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:04 PM   #5

You're getting there,Jemma- though maybe too much red...?
Also try darkening the background with a "burn" tool,as in photoshop- it makes your daughter "stand-out" more...
Adjustments I made here was to drop the red channel,boost up the green,plenty of background burning in the mid tone/shadow regions- and a bit to darken the lower areas of her hair... and I cloned out what looks like a mini-Santa behind her(on the left)...
See what fun PP is...!!
Of course- you may like it your way also- everyone has different taste..
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:56 AM   #6
Administrator

Hey Jenna:

Just to make sure you understand how to resize your images, here's a page that may help, since you mentioned you're using Photoshop. You'll want it to look like that first box and use pixel dimensions for the resize.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/e...e-resizing.php

Then, with the other check boxes just like they are on that page, change the longest side to 1024 pixels or shorter (that's the largest it can be, but you may want to make it slightly smaller, using something like 800 pixels on the longest side instead).

Don't worry about the page size info (that will automatically change when you change the dimensions of the image using the pixels section), as things like how large it in inches at a given pixels per inch doesn't make any difference. Just worry about making the dimensions in pixels where the longest side is 1024 pixels or smaller, with the boxes checked as shown (constrain dimensions, resample) in the first image on that page.

Then, after you change it's size in pixels and click OK, use the File>Save As menu choice to save it with a new filename (so that you don't overwrite your original). When you use File>Save As to save a jpeg file, you'll see a dialogue box come up that allows you to change JPEG quality settings.

Use the slider so that it's at a Quality of Around 8. That's usually about right to keep the file size within limits if you resize it to 1024 pixels or less on the longest side for a typical image. Then, check the file size as shown in my last post to make sure it's small enough before trying to attach it to a post here. If not, try using a slightly smaller image size (go 800 pixels instead of 1024 on the longest side) and/or use a different JPEG quality setting (the lower the number, the smaller the file size for a given image size). For example, try 7 instead of 8 if it's still too large.

Here's a page showing that Quality Slider (you should see it when you use File>Save As when saving a JPEG file):

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...le-format.html

As long as the image doesn't exceed the maximum allowed sizes here (it should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB), then the forums software will not modify your images.

If you want to try something other than Photoshop for resizing images, here's a free software program that does a good job with downsizing. It's cross platform (available for OS X, Windows and Linux), and it's sole feature is resizing images.

http://www.fsoft.it/imaging/en/DownloadPrg.htm

Just make sure to use a different destination folder so that you don't overwrite your originals.

But, most any image editor can resize photos for you. The trick is to make sure you're changing the size in pixels so that the longest side is 1024 pixels or shorter, and making sure the JPEG Quality setting isn't too high in order to keep the file size within the allowed limits (the higher the quality setting, the larger the file size).
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:03 AM   #7

sorry i'm so new to all of this. thanks for posting all this info.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:44 PM   #8
Administrator

You don't need to say you're sorry. I'm just letting you know so that your photos will look better when posted here, since if you let the forums software downsize and recompress them, they'll tend to look a bit softer and the EXIF gets stripped out.

So, for better results, it's a good idea to make sure they're within the maximum allowed limits for both file size and dimensions. Otherwise, our forums software is going to modify your images.