Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:45 PM   #1

Default East Tennessee. My local Nature!

No idea what this is but I thought it looked neat!:

Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:46 PM   #2

Moved to TN in July and I was just testing out my new camera with the standard lens it comes with it. Thought I'd share. Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:01 AM   #3

nice try I love the 4th and 5th not to sure on the last one just seems to be lacking.
Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:17 AM   #4
rle

# 3 is my fav, focus & exp. are good. # 2 least liked, vertical comp in middle bothers me. Just saying.
rle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:28 PM   #5

I like the third photo very much !

Regards, Griddi.....
Griddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:35 PM   #6

#3 is the best.
I like the idea of #1, but I think there are some things that might be improved.
- The sky is "blown" (overexposed to lose detail) and the trees to the right of the barn are underexposed, so the base of the trees is just a dark blob. Did you boost the contrast in post? If so, it's too much.
- I think the composition is off by just a bit. The barn, which is the major subject seems too low to me. Maybe this'd work with a big blue sky full of clouds, but when most of the sky is blaring white, for me it doesn't work.

I tried a few edits, messing with the midpoint in the "levels" tool and turning down the output level of the sky. I then cropped a bit of the sky out.

What do you think?
Attached Images

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:55 PM   #7

A nice little sampler of some varied East Tennessee scenes!

my favorite is the first (barn) photo - it's the most interesting mood, and probably the best exposure. Perdendosi's edit looks even better.

Shot #2 (is that Cade's Cove?) has some very nice color and mood, but looks a little soft to me.

Stream would look much better if taken on a dark, overcast day and with some polarizing to cut glare. Tripod would also help a lot with this (and most landscape photos). Also, looking at EXIF, it looks like you used a very high ISO - this usually gives you a "noisier" (grainy-looking) photo, and less dynamic range.

Looking forward to seeing more of your East Tennessee scenes!

PS - the "what is it" is a bit of Foliose Lichen. Lichens are amazing plants - a fungus and an algae that grow together into one living thing. We in East Tennessee are blessed with an amazing diversity of lichen species.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:59 PM   #8

Sorry for the late reply! Thanks for all the advice! I'm VERY new with photography. Some of these were taken out of a moving car.

YES! Cade's Cove. I moved to TN back in July so we're adventuring and exploring everything around us.

I still am getting used to the camera as well and editing.. I use Picasa. Just the free google editing.

I have the ISO on the highest number because I found that any lower number makes the photo very blurry. Might need to work on that though.

Thank you all for the comments, I'll do my best laying low on editing and using light better. :]

Last edited by PittyMoma; Jan 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM.
PittyMoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyMoma View Post
I still am getting used to the camera as well and editing.. I use Picasa. Just the free google editing.

Thank you all for the comments, I'll do my best laying low on editing and using light better. :]
There are a bunch of good, free programs for editing. I use an on-line one called Pixlr. It's online (no software to download), and you can use layers, adjust curves, and levels, and apply some basic filters. You can also download the GIMP. It's free, open-sourced image editing program that can be installed on many operating systems. It's almost as functional as photoshop (almost...), has tons of add-ons, has a huge community supporting it, and it's free.

If those terms are foreign, no worries. Here are a couple of brief tutorials (using the levels and curves features of various softwares)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...-levels.html#b

http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/gimp_...ls_curves.html

good luck! keep shooting!
http://www.digital-photography-schoo...otoshop-levels
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdendosi View Post
There are a bunch of good, free programs for editing. I use an on-line one called Pixlr. It's online (no software to download), and you can use layers, adjust curves, and levels, and apply some basic filters. You can also download the GIMP. It's free, open-sourced image editing program that can be installed on many operating systems. It's almost as functional as photoshop (almost...), has tons of add-ons, has a huge community supporting it, and it's free.

If those terms are foreign, no worries. Here are a couple of brief tutorials (using the levels and curves features of various softwares)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...-levels.html#b

http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/gimp_...ls_curves.html

good luck! keep shooting!
http://www.digital-photography-schoo...otoshop-levels

Thank you so much. I'm looking into GIMP.