Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:05 PM   #1

Default Arigna Valley Sunset, Ireland

I posted this in the Landscape forum, but would like some constructive criticism on this so adding here, at the mod's descression.

Image is a panorama of Arigna Valley, Co Roscommon at sunrise. Lake in is Lough Allen and mountain in the distance is Slaibe an Iarainn and image is taken from the Arigna Mountains, famous for Iron mining from the middle ages, and Coal mining in the last 200 years, which has since finished up.

Image captured at sunrise, pano of 4 images, standard processing ( sharpen, contrast etc) along with a bit of dodging and burning to bring the sky out a bit better.

Ive saved a few versions of this, with the version below winning out by a whisker. Im worried though that the image looks too red or "warm". It was sunrise and there was a slight orange/red hue to everything so I think it looks pretty natural to what i saw, but i want it to look good as a photo to someone who was not there to witness the scene with their own eyes ( as its being printed and framed as large as it will go). the other version i have makes the scene look a little greener, which is not as natural to what i saw, but could be a better image.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by schmintan; Jan 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:38 PM   #2

2 in 1 here...i love this picture as a "landscape" but as a sunset, my eye is drawn away from the rest of what is a magnificent picture. im no photography expert, in fact quite the oposite. but in my opinion, it would be better without the sunset or maybe with the sun setting but a little earlier in the day. great capture tho and definately a sunset worth photographing, maybe with the emphesis more on the sunset itself.

just a thought, hope its helpful

john
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:40 PM   #3

Great composition and subject!

Can you do any more for the sky? It looks a little flat, to me. If you could bring out some more details in the clouds, it would be terrific.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:59 PM   #4

Wow! The hill across the water has a nice symmetry to it, enhanced by the valley slope in the foreground. The sunset pulls attention away from the central scene, almost like there's too much to see in one photo.

I'd be curious to see the composition altered so that the sliver of visible water follows the rule of thirds.

Still, i'd make a poster sized print of this one for sure.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
The sunset pulls attention away from the central scene, almost like there's too much to see in one photo.

Forget that! (I can say that about my own post, can't I?) This is one of those scenes where a person can study the image for some time in order to see all the delightful things going on. At least if it's presented in sufficient size.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the kind words and great critique guys! appreciate it. I was happy to see some of the critique in pararticular, as they were items i considered, tried out and decided against for one reason or another. Im a consultant by trade, and theres a rule of thumb that when designing something, always look at the best practices, but dont be afraid to go against them. As long as you considered them and have a good reason, then you had a good thought process and were thorough.

@FITCIP: i actually took 3 sets of images. one before sunset, one during and one after. i tried 3 seperate panos, one from each set. although the focus was more on the centre of the image for the 1st and the 3rd, they just were missing something, when compared to the one with the sunrise.

@iowa_jim: I tried various croppings of this image. the fact that i want to print it out though dictates a lot on how big it must be. generally i like to keep my panos with the rule of thirds rule, i.e, the height should be roughly 1 third of the width. it makes for a pleasing print in general for a wide angle shot. So although some crops do look a little better with slightly less sky and foreground, the crop you see is the best for printing, without cropping out the sunrise and mountain on either side.
You are correct though, it does need to be of sufficient size. im afraid its as big as flickr will allow me to store it at the mo, but it will be at 9 x 28 (roughly) inches when its finally printed and hung. Big is the only way to view landscapes!

@JeannieBug: Im with you on this. the sky was very washed out in the original images so i done a lot of work with contrast, darkening shadows and dodging and burning. I didnt want to push it much further for fear of making it look like HDR or overcooked in Photoshop. Il play around with it a bit more though and see if i can introduce some contrast to the sky though.

Thanks a mil for the critique guys it was very helpful!
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote