Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:46 PM   #1

Default Self Portrait

Hey guys, I'm starting to play with studio photography. I was wondering what everyone thinks of this lighting. This was the first self portrait I've ever done. I used one strobe and a reflector with my camera on a timer. I'm not to photogenic, but I'm more concerned with lighting, and from a lighting point of view, I'm not too worried about if it is technically right, more so just if it looks good. I usually tend to shoot more artsy photo's rather than technical shots. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:42 PM   #2

hoffam19 this shot draws more attention to the board than to you.The flash isn't enough to cover your body.Your facial expression needs to be more animated and lively.Your free hand needs to be on the board rather than the leg.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:43 AM   #3

The problem I have with my self-portraits is that the subject is uninteresting. In this photo, the background is nice but I see too much shadow for my tastes. Moving farther from the wall should eliminate this.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:43 AM   #4

The shadow doesn't bother me. It's fairly soft. The posing is the weakest part of this IMO. You said you're only concerned with the lighting but if you're going to be shooting people you should interest yourself in posing. Lighting is one of the more fun parts of photography but the stiff pose really hurts the pic. You look like you're standing at attention ready to do your duty as a good soldier snowboarder.

I'm guessing you shot this at a pretty close focal length which exaggerates the size of the snowboard, which may be what you wanted.

Lighting looks pretty good to me.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:55 AM   #5

You look almost...angry!
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:12 AM   #6

Its not bad ( better than i would manage probably). The perspective is good, with the board comming towardsd the camera. There are a few things that jump out at me though:

1. Its quite soft. Your face should be pin sharp in this.
2. Dark. the background is quite dark, as are your clothes.
3. Your posture. it might be better if you were crouching. you look quite uncomfortable. if the exercise was just to try out portrait photography, and you were not worried about the subject then ignore this.
4. You amputated the tips of your fingers.

Im not a studio photographer though so im no expert in these matters. those are just the very obvious things that i can see.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:45 PM   #7

First of all, thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
The shadow doesn't bother me. It's fairly soft. The posing is the weakest part of this IMO. You said you're only concerned with the lighting but if you're going to be shooting people you should interest yourself in posing. Lighting is one of the more fun parts of photography but the stiff pose really hurts the pic. You look like you're standing at attention ready to do your duty as a good soldier snowboarder.

I'm guessing you shot this at a pretty close focal length which exaggerates the size of the snowboard, which may be what you wanted.

Lighting looks pretty good to me.

brad
Digme, I definitely understand posing is very important, this was just meant to be a lighting exercise. I wasn't feeling too photogenic, that should explain the week pose and lack of facial expression.

I'm not sure if the background shadows should be a huge concern, but I was in very tight quarters so it was almost impossible to get rid of.

And lastly as far as the focal length, I used a super wide angle lens at a very close distance mainly because of the tight quarters, but I like the exaggerated look and I do ride a really huge board for my size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Its not bad ( better than i would manage probably). The perspective is good, with the board comming towardsd the camera. There are a few things that jump out at me though:

1. Its quite soft. Your face should be pin sharp in this.
2. Dark. the background is quite dark, as are your clothes.
3. Your posture. it might be better if you were crouching. you look quite uncomfortable. if the exercise was just to try out portrait photography, and you were not worried about the subject then ignore this.
4. You amputated the tips of your fingers.

Im not a studio photographer though so im no expert in these matters. those are just the very obvious things that i can see.
Hey Schmintan, softness comes from not having a remote shutter release, I was focusing on the wall then using a 10 sec timer and jumping into the photo, but again this was supposed to be solely a lighting exercise.

Overall it sounds like the lighting is ok for a single strobe and reflector. I could get rid of the shadows by moving away from the wall or with a back light. If I used a back light it should eliminate the issue of dark clothes on a dark background. Need to get a remote for better focus and not such a terrible pose I think maybe I'm on the right track?

Last edited by hoffam19; Jan 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM.
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:58 PM   #8

I like the shot
Maybe a bit more highlights in the levels to make the board really pop
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:34 AM   #9

attention gets diverted to your board
mainak is offline   Reply With Quote