Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 947
Default Which of these two you like best and why?

Which of these two you like best and why?
I shot these two, (have several others) during Tacoma's rare snow/ice storm two days ago. I like the ice better in one, but the hummer better in the other.



__________________
http://www.moskovita-photography.com/
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/mo...hotography.htm
Nikon D5200
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
schmintan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 424
Default

they are both pretty awesome to be fair!

If i had to go for one only, id pick the first one. any hummingbird images you see are from the side profile, kind of like your 2nd image, but you rarely see a profile like in your 1st image.

The bird looks almost angry! That and the loud pink head color really add something the scene.

Id work on sharpening up the eyes a bit. Perhaps put a more definate (less diffuse/hazy) white spot reflection in the eye, that will help give the effect of sharpness without having to do too much processing.

Awesome images!
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:59 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

I guess beauty is in the eye so to speak. Both images appear to me to have been shot through a window and then cropped. They don't have the detail you would expect from the bird filling such a large portion of the frame. If they were heavily cropped I might suggest a lesser crop. Or maybe it was noise reduction - not sure.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Hi,

Both images have their pluses and minuses. The background in the first image is a lot less cluttered. As a result , it's a lot easier to concentrate on the bird.
However, the bird in the second image is in a much better pose as well as being proportionally better to the overfall size of the image.

As John G as pointed out, there appears to be a loss of feather detail. To me it looks like you used a significant amount of noise reduction in CS5.

I took a look at exif data for the 1st image. With a focal range of 390mm, your probably exceeding the sharpest focal range of your lens. Also, ISO1250 also contributes the degradation of the resolution and feather detail. Opening up the lens from f8 to something closer to wide open would allow you to shoot at a lower ISO, thus reducing noise. another benefit, not to be overlooked, if you shoot close to wide open, your depth of field will shorten and your background will be all but eliminated.

FWIW, when I edit a bird photo in CS5, I open up the image in Camera Raw- regardless if it's a RAW or jpeg. Instead of using the noise reduction feature, I first reduce the clarity. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but by so doing, you'll reduce noise more uniformly. I can always bring back the detail in CS5 by using the smart sharpen filter or the sharpening tool.


With the 7000, you are certainly capable of getting extremely sharp images, provided the lens is up to the task.
Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Istvan84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 156
Default

The images look unnatural, they look very HDR-like.. How much work have you done to them? And what kinda work in the pre processing progress?
__________________
Best Regards,
http://www.fotoi.se
Istvan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan84 View Post
The images look unnatural, they look very HDR-like.. How much work have you done to them? And what kinda work in the pre processing progress?
Obviously you haven't seen these Anna Hummingbirds. That is EXACTLY how they look to your eyes when you see them.
Didn't have to do a lot of Photoshop, a little saturation to get the head color the way I saw it, a little sharpening and cropped into it about 60%
__________________
http://www.moskovita-photography.com/
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/mo...hotography.htm
Nikon D5200
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

Both images have their pluses and minuses. The background in the first image is a lot less cluttered. As a result , it's a lot easier to concentrate on the bird.
However, the bird in the second image is in a much better pose as well as being proportionally better to the overfall size of the image.

As John G as pointed out, there appears to be a loss of feather detail. To me it looks like you used a significant amount of noise reduction in CS5.

I took a look at exif data for the 1st image. With a focal range of 390mm, your probably exceeding the sharpest focal range of your lens. Also, ISO1250 also contributes the degradation of the resolution and feather detail. Opening up the lens from f8 to something closer to wide open would allow you to shoot at a lower ISO, thus reducing noise. another benefit, not to be overlooked, if you shoot close to wide open, your depth of field will shorten and your background will be all but eliminated.

FWIW, when I edit a bird photo in CS5, I open up the image in Camera Raw- regardless if it's a RAW or jpeg. Instead of using the noise reduction feature, I first reduce the clarity. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but by so doing, you'll reduce noise more uniformly. I can always bring back the detail in CS5 by using the smart sharpen filter or the sharpening tool.


With the 7000, you are certainly capable of getting extremely sharp images, provided the lens is up to the task.
Zig
Everything you said makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
__________________
http://www.moskovita-photography.com/
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/mo...hotography.htm
Nikon D5200
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Istvan84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Obviously you haven't seen these Anna Hummingbirds. That is EXACTLY how they look to your eyes when you see them.
Didn't have to do a lot of Photoshop, a little saturation to get the head color the way I saw it, a little sharpening and cropped into it about 60%
No I haven't. but working as a professional photographer, and seeing your picture. I say it doesn't look natural. Not just the bird, the whole environment. I see that you have pushed up the saturation, it also looks like the bird has some kinda of a small small halo around its body, esp on the first pic. Which makes it look even more unnatural. I'm not trying to be a wiseass ore something. Just giving you my honest opinion. And just trying to help.

And after looking at other superb photos of that bird, I still say that you picture looks unnatural. It feels like that you've also lightened up the picture, and it has lost some of it details.. Feels like you've use some of the shadows / highlight settings in PS, and gone to far, and that can also do that "halo-effect" to the picture.

Could you please post a photo of the bird without any work done to it at all? Just the way it came out from the camera?

And please take this the right way. Don't want to make you upset or anything, and please consider that english is my 3rd language, and some of the things i'm trying to say may be lost in my translation. And come out wrong.
__________________
Best Regards,
http://www.fotoi.se

Last edited by Istvan84; Jan 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM.
Istvan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan84 View Post
No I haven't. but working as a professional photographer, and seeing your picture. I say it doesn't look natural. Not just the bird, the whole environment. I see that you have pushed up the saturation, it also looks like the bird has some kinda of a small small halo around its body, esp on the first pic. Which makes it look even more unnatural. I'm not trying to be a wiseass ore something. Just giving you my honest opinion. And just trying to help.

And after looking at other superb photos of that bird, I still say that you picture looks unnatural. It feels like that you've also lightened up the picture, and it has lost some of it details.. Feels like you've use some of the shadows / highlight settings in PS, and gone to far, and that can also do that "halo-effect" to the picture.

Could you please post a photo of the bird without any work done to it at all? Just the way it came out from the camera?

And please take this the right way. Don't want to make you upset or anything, and please consider that english is my 3rd language, and some of the things i'm trying to say may be lost in my translation. And come out wrong.
Not upset at all. Gotta run now, but you can see my other hummer shots here:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/Hummingbirds.htm
__________________
http://www.moskovita-photography.com/
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/mo...hotography.htm
Nikon D5200
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Istvan84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 156
Default

Woow, you had some lovely shots there mate! Good job!
__________________
Best Regards,
http://www.fotoi.se
Istvan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:27 AM.