Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:38 PM   #1

Default Swan

Hi everyone..

So, I haven't been on lately. Been learning the new camera, seeing what it can do. So, I've been working with selective focus, photoshop.

Anyway, I put this on my flickr acct and everyone loved it. What do you guys think? hope everyone's well
Attached Images

Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:37 AM   #2

Hi Jenna.

Its a great idea, and one which i now want to expirement with.

I thik though that to pull this effect off successfuly the foreground object in focus must have some interest and must have some relationship with the object that is out of focus in the middle/background.

The branches in the foreground in this instance dont really relate to the swan. They are just a load of cluttered branches. They clutter up the image and restrict view of the swan which is what my eye is led to, as the branches dont really add any interest.

Id like to see this exact same scene, but instead of branches, you could use a flower (something soft like a daffodill, lilly or the like). have the flower pin sharp, stem curving, almost following the curve of the swan neck that is out of focus in the background.

The curve of the flower, light pastel colors and delicate nature of the flower would relate much better to the swan, and a flower is a genuine point of interest, rather than a lot of old branches.

I hope thats not too critical. thats my thought process when i look at images i took and want to make them better, I hope it helps. Im certainly going to try to do a version of this image!
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:38 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The main subject (Swan) is out of focus and the branches in the foreground are a significant distraction.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:18 AM   #4

See I did that on purpose though, I didn't want the swan in focus. I like the idea of a flower or something, yet as you know with animals of any type you can't always grab just the right thing. there are no flowers there, it's winter so everything's dead lol.

it's not a very nice lake, it's kinda muddy and a small one in our neighborhood. I get your idea though, and thanks for the feedback. I'tll be much better once spring rolls around and there will be alot more i can experiment with.

Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5

I guess there's two things to explore here- the concept of the main subject in bokeh, and the execution of the style.

I imagine that under specific situations, the main subject in bokeh could be an interesting artistic approach, but for most viewers, a little goes a long ways.

As for the execution of the style, the foreground is uninteresting, but is the only thing in focus.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
The main subject (Swan) is out of focus and the branches in the foreground are a significant distraction.
What I was thinking too... since you did that deliberately, I'd use something else such as flowers or?
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:51 AM   #7

An interesting idea- even though some might not go for it...
Keep experimenting.... no rules- let your imagination go wild...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:23 PM   #8

I've done some pics of ppl with them in the foreground, and more phased out and nicer branches or one had a nicer bush that was more prominent. I can't find it to post it though It's hard in winter i find, everythings dead. we got two inches of snow and i took as many snow pics as i could lol. I want to get a macro lense for summer, now that'll be cool
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:01 PM   #9

thanks for the feedback, ill be one with the swans again this week
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:31 AM   #10

Hi idea is good. I do a lot of club photography and i get lots of views of judges and hear lots of views of the judges of other peoples work. So here is my view as said good idea but the swan is too out of focus and the branches just dont do anything for it. IMHO you need a strong subject that draws the eye too it as the swan is large subject in its self and so draws you away to it and so to the fact that it is out of focus. Hope this helps
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote