Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:13 PM   #1

Default went back to that lake :)

So, went back to the lake to catch the swans again. I did this one in regular program mode so i could set the setting myself. I think the clarities alot better. The lake isnt' a nice lake, wasn't blue when we were there lol
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:28 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Now that's an excellent image--great composition, excellent lighting and exposure and lots of detail in the feathers)! Nice!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:34 PM   #3

yay!! lol I thought so. setting my own stuff on the camera is far better than auto mode or the other one.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:17 PM   #4

Hi,

I've looked at some of your posts and have to say that this is your best effort that I've seen. This photograph is far better, in my mind, because the subject is in focus, exposure is good, clarity and detail is also good. more importantly, the image is uncluttered - which is important.

There are a couple of things that you could work on;
1- subjects such as animals and birds should either be shot from the front or side. Seeing the rear is not all that flattering to the subject. Also, it is very important in shooting birds to capture the eyes.

2. You seem to like to use the blur tool and other effects in your photo editing software. There is nothing wrong with that but, more often than not, a nice clean image with good composition, exposure and subject matter often is better left as is-free of the gimmicks.

Having said that, there are times when you want to eliminate backgrounds that you feel are unnecessary. In those cases, the vignetting tool is probably a more effective tool.

I hope you don't mind, but since your looking for comments and suggestions, I took your photo and modified it by using the vignetting tool found in Photoshop. Please note that this is an exaggerated vignetting effect. My preference would have it be more subtle.

keep at it and have fun

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:39 PM   #5

Thanks I love that! You will probably laugh yet I got a free trial of several editing program's until I found one that I like. so right now i'm using corel paintshop, and i'm not a fan. so i'm ordering photoshop online. my free trial is over.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:50 PM   #6

I was also reading you should often shoot subjects animals etc. from the side? I went to the lake because I wanted to take it out of auto mode, and try out the different iso's as well as different lighting. So, I just hung out with the swans and changed the settings for a while.

I learned lower iso's are much better for detail when your close up. right?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:18 PM   #7

Just say no to white vignettes. Nothing cheeses up a photo quicker IMO. Besides the way to bring attention to a bright subject is to darken everything else, not lighten it as well. I agree that this is your best yet. I think a stronger composition would have (possibly) been the swan slightly left in the frame with pond on the right side somewhat following the rule of thirds. I'm not a stickler for the rule of thirds but I think it would have been appropriate here.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
I was also reading you should often shoot subjects animals etc. from the side? I went to the lake because I wanted to take it out of auto mode, and try out the different iso's as well as different lighting. So, I just hung out with the swans and changed the settings for a while.

I learned lower iso's are much better for detail when your close up. right?
Hi,

A question, do you have any 'how to books" on getting the most out of your camera? If not, then one of the really good ones is the Digital Photography book 1 by Scott Kelby. It's an easy read, full of practical information and written from the perspective that you and he are just going out together on a day of shooting. He explains what settings, lenses, and equipment to use in each particular type of photography.

It's an inexpensive way to shorten the learning curve:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photog...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:25 AM   #9

Thats a better image did you use flash
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:43 PM   #10

Thank you! I will be ordering that book. No, the camera did not come with a manual. We had purchased it off ebay. So, I downloaded one off the internet. I'm finding the auto mode just isn't good. A friend told me to shoot in that, yet my thought was why have a camera like this if you dont' learn to utilize the different settings and stuff. Thanks for the link and book info

No, I didn't use a flash. I think for this one I had the ISO set at 200. The data might of been stripped when I made the image smaller to upload to here. Light was good yesterday too, wasn't dark out. Sun was actually shining

The swans are a great little subject to use for me to play around with settings. My daughter was tiring of the constant pictures lol.

Wanted to grab a shot from the front, yet he was a bit tempermental. Oh i forgot to tell you guys this was with my new lense I purchased. I haven't been using the kit lenses that much, so that maybe the difference as well.