Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:56 PM   #1

Default Trouble with white balance

How do you take a picture of something when it is well cast in shadow and the background is very bright?

I tried using the camera's flash and my speedlite for fill but it turned out way too yellowed over the moss and algae. I don't feel there will be a time of day when the angel will be better lit as she is positioned directly under a large tree. However maybe taking the picture on a more overcast day would help keep the background from blowing out? I was taking the picture in JPEG but am going to start taking them in RAW since I picked up PP software (finally!) this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to do more with things now.

No point by Quadna71, on Flickr
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:45 PM   #2

Shooting RAW will give you more latitude in PP- but maybe turn the flash power down a bit..? Or try using the "flash" WB setting....
The pic above,though,isn't too bad...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:15 PM   #3

That's what I've been reading in regards to RAW. I spent a little time trying to get a feel for how PE9 works but it might take me a while.

I did try the speed lite at numerous strength levels, but didn't think to adjust the WB flavor to one of the other presets. Thanks for the advice - I'll be trying it out tomorrow morning
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:13 AM   #4

I would certainly shoot RAW but I would set the camera to AV evaluative metering mode use an external flash tripod and retake the picture. Canon uses flash as fill in so it should take out some of the shadows.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5

G'day Quadna

Another possibility is to reshoot at night to completely remove all unwanted background and then the flash can be your sole light source

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:20 AM   #6

another soloution is take 2 shots one exposing for the statue and one for the sky, then join them in photoshop, or shoot 3 or more pics with -1, 0 and +1 exposures etc and do a hdr.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
another soloution is take 2 shots one exposing for the statue and one for the sky, then join them in photoshop, or shoot 3 or more pics with -1, 0 and +1 exposures etc and do a hdr.
That seems like a great fit...except I can't get my HDR shots to align for the life of me. Not sure if it's a setting that I'm messing up on my camera or something I'm not doing correctly in the software. I'm going to watch a few videos online and see if I can glean some info from them.

Thanks for the advice though - that would/will work great!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:10 PM   #8

Could you stop down a bit to tone down the bokeh and darken the background? The blur to the background is so extreme as to draw my eye. Expose for a darker background and use the flash to light just the statue? Can you alter the angle so the tree trunk is not coming out of the shoulder?

As suggested earlier a night shot with flash might be the ticket.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:31 PM   #9

I tried it again today with fill for flash and still had poor results. Even when taking sets of 3 with different exposures it looked extremely faked when I tried to combine them with PE9. Unfortunately I can't access it later in the evenings as the gates are locked up. I drive by it regularly though so I'll keep trying all the advice - thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:02 PM   #10

Alter the angle if possible to minimize the tree trunk or shift it slightly so it is not central to the statue. A longer lens from further away from the statue would increase bokeh to eliminate the vertical line.

Cool statue but the tree is a problem. Could you shoot from the ground looking up? Maybe back off a fudge to include more of the statue?

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Feb 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote