Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:54 AM   #1

Default Let me have it, Open to learn

With or without edit?
Jbird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:24 AM   #2

Blurring the background does help in bringing attention to the blossom, but you have blurred the edges of the flower also. Don't know what you use for editing, but if you have the capability, you should try selecting the flower, copying it, and then pasting it back over the blurred original.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3

The background is unnattractive so better with the edit but try taking more time over the masking as brian suggests for a cleaner result. The flash is a bit harsh so next time you might want to try either reducing the flash power or just standing further back and zooming more. Flowers also usually look better from an angle instead of straight on like this.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:09 PM   #4

This picture has already been taken, but I'd spend time practicing how to take the picture you want using the lens, shutter, and light sources to control depth of field rather than trying to fix it with post processing.

The uniformly blurry background doesn't look right to me, it's as if you cut out the picture of a flower and pasted it onto an unrelated blurry picture.
TomH in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:55 AM   #5

For now I'm stuck with Paint Shop Pro 7. I am guessing Photoshop is one of the top programs to get, but after spending big $ on this new cam I need to buy the wife something nice before I spend $200 more on software. I am fairly good with PSP 7 but never worked with photos much. This plant is very unattractive but produces loads of giant flowers. So the background will never be up to par.
The flowers only last one day so maybe letting them bloom and plucking them and making a better background is the way to go? I have a lot to learn with lenses and focus and this amazing camera (everything related to photos) So I THANK YOU all for any nudges in the right directions.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:29 AM   #6

I use Photoimpact for most of my editing, so I am not completely sure, but I do think that PSP can extract portions of an image for the kind of thing I mentioned. It is a very capable program from what I remamber of an earlier version I tried.
What kind of camera and lens are you using? There are usually ways to get the look you are after from most cameras.

brian
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:03 AM   #7

Canon T2i EF55-250 gave me a bit more detail on the flower than my 18-55 lens
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:18 AM   #8

If you have a macro mode on one of your lenses, use it. Otherwise, use the widest aperture and longest focal length that you can work with. The original composition isn't bad at all, but the bright buds and leaves next to the flower tend to distract a bit from the blossom. If you can get a little different lighting, so the b/g is darker, it would help.

brian
Old Feb 25, 2012, 4:45 PM   #9

Here's a rubeish attempt with PE2 at trying to suppress the background.

If you do a photo like this, then sometimes it helps also to use spray bottle to give the flower object a glint of moisture. This seems to help make the flower often appear fresher/more appealing.
Attached Images

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 5:25 PM   #10

I should have about 3 more blooms in the morning and my weekend starts then. I'll give your suggestions a try. A macro lens is also in the neer future, as I like to shoot close ups of small critters.
That looks a lot better sdromel and the squirt of water was my plans on the next photo. Thanks for the hints everyone.