Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 11, 2012, 1:57 AM   #1

Default More Home Studio

Did another photo shoot, still working on getting the lighting right.
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2012, 5:22 AM   #2

CALICAJUN

I like the fact you are still trying .... the lighting on the material wrap is great to me also the hair is not too bad i think you are on the right track just a little more tweaking here and there but remember i am no pro just a hobbies't like most .

i think you will find if you added a little dark vignetting around you model it would hide a lot of sins where you have filled the black background also maybe add a little saturation - glow .... here is a quick edit so you can see how the vignette works maybe too much saturation though

Old May 19, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3

Simple,
Your edit looks good and the frame does add to the overall picture. I understand (or at least think I do) what you said was done, except glow. Seen the term "glow" once or twice before but not sure what glow is or how to attain that effect.

Thanks for looking and helping,
Craig
Old May 19, 2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I always like it when people are trying something new.

The first thing that jumped out is the white balance, the skin tones are very cool to say the least, did you shoot raw? In the studio it is always worth taking a shot of a grey card first where possible.

Next, this sort of shot calls out for dramatic lighting, this is quite flat still even with the light off to the right. What sort of modifier did you have and how far from your subject? If you had the light more in from the side then the shape would be enhanced. I saw a comment on your other thread saying that there wasn't much shadow and that was a good thing..... most of the time you want shadow as this creates shape and drama. One of my fave photographers is Frank Doorhof, very dramatic in his use of light, here is one of his blog posts http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/201...s-christianne/

Look forward to seeing how you get on next time

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Hi Mark,
Here is my little set up that we shot with that night after the sun went down. One soft-box, one umbrella (250ws mono lights), one Vititar 283 with variable power flash unit with mini soft-box over the head and a 580EX II with Stofen diffuser on camera. Didn't have these at the time of the shoot but for my birthday I was given a set (five colors) of 42" round reflectors with stand. I always shoot in RAW, something I learned from here. Okay, the wife learn about RAW here and made me start using it three years ago. Going to have find a 18% grey card, 18% is what is still used today? Any suggestions on placement or replacement of lights or other gear?
Thanks,
Craig
P.S.
The wine bottle is part of the studio set up as it helps keep the model happy.LOL
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Cool. are you using the on camera flash to trigger the other lights? I would just put it on manual power and find the lowest setting that works to trigger the rest, so it doesn't get in the way of what you are doing.

I would also play with just a single light to start with (hopefully your wife doesn't get too board) and move it around to many different positions and see how the light is changing. I like the lights to be behind the subject a lot of the time or at least 90 degrees to the camera, this will really bring in much more shadow. The best thing with digital is we can see what is happening straight away and if something doesn't work who cares

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Oh, was going to say, with the size softbox and umbrella you have then get them in to about 2' or 3' away to really wrap light and bring soft definition. If you want things harder/harsher then move them back.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:09 PM   #8

Mark,
Nice tips, I'll add them to my list of things to remember when shooting. No really, I making a list to keep with me when doing shoots. Yes, I was using the on camera flash to trigger the lights, mostly, the flash was aim away from the subject at its' lowest setting. I do have a RF602 wireless trigger but that night is just didn't want to work right for us. Wife told me next time buy Pocket Wizard flash controllers.

Thanks,
Craig
Old May 19, 2012, 1:15 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Mark,
Nice tips, I'll add them to my list of things to remember when shooting. No really, I making a list to keep with me when doing shoots. Yes, I was using the on camera flash to trigger the lights, mostly, the flash was aim away from the subject at its' lowest setting. I do have a RF602 wireless trigger but that night is just didn't want to work right for us. Wife told me next time buy Pocket Wizard flash controllers.

Thanks,
Craig
You're welcome.... and a lucky man with your wife saying you can buy PWs! I use Cactus v5 triggers and they do a good job for a great price. Not had a problem with them yet.

I need to do more indoor stuff, it's good fun, actually got a fashion training day in a couple of months with a top photographer so hope to learn a load more

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:27 PM   #10

Have fun at the fashion training day and post any tips you pick up. If the company I work for ever keeps their word and sends me to England for training I'll give you plenty of notice so you can hide. As it looks now, they are planing on sending me to Turkey for a few months. Can't take all my lighting gear but sure can pack a lot of camera gear in a carry on.