Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 21, 2012, 7:06 PM   #1

Default Group Shot of a Band

My bride sings in a band that primarily leads worship for an audience of recovering addicts.

The band was asked to play at an outdoor event/fund raising event. They were one of many bands who played that day. And I was asked to take some photos, yet not interrupt what they were doing.

So I grabbed my Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lens. I also used my Canon 2x extender.

I could not clear the stage like I would have liked (excessive microphone stands, etc.) Also, I was somewhat prevented from getting too close.

Here's the EXIF info: f/11, 1/250 140mm x 2 for 280mm, ISO 200. Shot with a Canon 5D.

What I like about the photo is that I got to a place where the whole band was visible, (except for one guitarist who was about 20 feet to the right, and stuck there due to his guitar cable being too short to join the band!).

I'll appreciate anything you have to say, positive or negative.

FYI, my bride of 19 years is the brunette.

I like the color and I like the sharpness of the image (handheld camera)
Attached Images

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2012, 4:11 PM   #2

The problem I have in critiquing this photo is that it is technically competent, but only of interest to people who know the people in the picture. That's true of most of our snapshots, and there's nothing wrong with such photos. But they really don't give much room for critique by people who don't know the folks in the photo.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 9:07 PM   #3

TC,

The hardest part of the photo was finding a place to shoot it so I did not have people overlapping one another.

Then trying to keep background items from looking like antennae out of someone's head.

Next, I wanted an action shot, e.g., the band playing but faces not looking silly. That's easy to happen when people are singing. (Maybe I should have posted those!)

But what I liked most about the photo was the brilliance of the colors.

I truly would appreciate comments on how to shoot a band shot better.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 12:23 PM   #4
sds

I think that you did a great job from where you had to shoot. If you have a picture of the other band member on stage we can photoshop him in.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 9:26 PM   #5

To make a better band shot you need to pose it and light it well. Shots of an entire band as they play just aren't typically that interesting especially with harsh lighting from a mid-day overhead sun. When you're shooting during a concert you should get in closer and wait for interesting moments.

Go to Google images and search "band shoots". You'll see that when people are shooting an entire band they rarely to never do this during a concert.

brad

Last edited by DigMe; May 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 4:39 PM   #6
sds

I tried making the background in the picture out of focus so that the items in it would not show as an item coming out of their heads. Hope that you approve.
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2012, 4:53 PM   #7
sds

I took out two more items in background.
Attached Images

Old May 27, 2012, 1:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
I think that you did a great job from where you had to shoot.
+1

Getting a decent shot of a preforming band that wouldn't look like a snapshot seems rather difficult, though I've never tried it.

Talked to a photographer once during the band's break at a small blues club. She was from a local music paper and was shooting with the band's permission. She said she was there when they set up to check out POVs and what F stop to use to include/exclude band members in the fore and background of shots. After the first couple of songs the singer announced they're would be a photog on stage for a few numbers. She worked fast, hit her spots, got her shots and moved to the next spot. Oh, and she also got the set list from the band so she could ask to shoot the ones she knew so as to be in position ahead of time to shoot the solos and photogenic high points.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote