Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:42 AM   #1

Default What do you think? New camera Fuji HS20 EXR

Hey! I want to start be saying sorry to everyone about previous post.

I have been taking photographs with cellphone and point & shot for as long as I know. but never took a picture in a artistic form. I would like your feed back to know if I am doing something wrong or if it's right. Thank you

Photo Details:

Shot in RAW format
Manual Mode
Dimensions 4608x3456
F-stop F/11
Exposure 1 sec.
ISO 100
Focal length 15mm
Max aperture 3
Metering mode= Spot

Soundworks3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2012, 4:21 AM   #2

An interesting mix of colour and lighting....
I think you're on the right track...
Being ultra critical... try to keep an eye on composition... make sure nothing in the shot is crept in, such as the wee dark blob at the foot of the picture,or the dark structure at the top centre of the shot. Post processing options include a slight crop or a bit of cloning...

Here's an example of a "quick fix"- with a 3/2 format crop,a touch of clone tool in the water,a bit of curves and saturation boost,and a touch of shadow burning in the tree....
Attached Images

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 13, 2012 at 4:36 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:36 AM   #3

Thank you for your opinion. you should have seen the original picture it have a couple of plastic cups I think i was so involved in getting the cups out the seen that didn't really look at anything else.

I will be looking to this in future photos I do. Since the monitor i'm using right now has some type of difference in the way it displays images that it's hard to really get a good color balance. But i will take this one as a guide tell I can get my original monitor back.

Thank you again.

Last edited by Soundworks3D; Jun 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:37 AM   #4

What are your thought's on RAW vs Jpeg?? what should i use ?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:32 PM   #5

I personally don't use RAW much- however, if you find yourself in more challenging lighting,it may prove fruitful- with more data tucked away in there for manipulation.
Some shadow detail and highlight detail lost in jpeg's can be retrieved to a degree,not to mention more white balance control. Fine tuning noise reduction and such like can have benefits also shooting RAW.
If I'm shooting landscapes with very contrasting scenery and bright skies,then RAW really does have benefits- it's amazing how much of a "blown" sky you can bring back.
Of course,many these days simply bracket several shots and combine them as an HDR image using the appropriate software- giving a tonal range no single RAW file could capture...!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:38 PM   #6

That is very true HDR I find to be very interesting how it brings details back in such a way that it's mind blowing.

I started using RAW but the file sizes and the post production and time you have to spend on each picture is really not worth it for all picture's. I have read a couple of thing regarding this RAW vs Jpeg and that's why I switched back to Jpeg I have noticed that in camera processing is pretty descent.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:44 PM   #7

Indeed- RAW file sizes can engulf your cards,camera and computers- and yes- they can be very time consuming. As you say- most jpeg engines do a pretty good job these days in all but the most challenging of conditions.
If you're happy shooting jpeg- stay with it- just give RAW a thought when exposure may be stretched...
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:40 AM   #8

Yeah that's what I have done. I'm not giving up RAW files that's the whole purpose of me getting this bridge camera. I nice little feature about it is, That when you have it in always jpeg there is a raw button on the camera that when clicked it would take a RAW+Jpeg so that's a cool thing to have. I'm really happy with the results I have gotten with it, I hope to continue getting great shot's now all I have to learn is lighting.