Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:48 PM   #1

Default Critique Requested: Photos from Botanical Gardens

I recently went to San Antonio Botanical Gardens with my wife and mother. Wonderful place I've never been to before. I shot these photos with my Sony A65 and 16-50 SSM. I would love to hear any comments about them.

thanks kindly, Chris

doctorxring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:19 PM   #2
Administrator

Hey Chris.

When posting in the Photo Critiques Forum, it's a good idea to post only one photo per thread. That way, you get tend to more meaningful comments about how to improve a specific image, whereas if you post multiple photos, you tend to see more general comments instead.

It's also a good idea to keep the image size down to no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side. Keep in mind that many users still have lower resolution displays (1024x768 is still very common). That way, members don't have to scroll around to see the entire image.

We've got some guidelines you may want to look at here (it's a stick thread a the top of the threads list in this forum). Don't worry, lots of new members miss it.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ph...e-posting.html

It looks like you got some nice images, and we appreciate you sharing them with us.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:08 PM   #3

All I can say is its nice to see a full screen image for a change. It seems photo sites like you to post postage size pics that you are supposed make comments on the details which you cant see. You have some nice pics. The first one Id have waited until those two women moved out of the frame. Also the image with the arm in holding the flower up. Would you hang that on your wall? It is good to show the scale though because we have smaller versions of that flower here.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:19 PM   #4

Hi Bynx

Thanks for ths comments. The two women are my wife and mother, mentioned
in the OP. The hand behind the mallow hibiscus is my mother's, so yeah,
I would probably hang it on my wall. But your comments are well received
and if the circumstances were different people would have not been in those
frames. The third frame here that contains the candid of the photographer
would stay as is however.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
All I can say is its nice to see a full screen image for a change. It seems photo sites like you to post postage size pics that you are supposed make comments on the details which you cant see. You have some nice pics. The first one Id have waited until those two women moved out of the frame. Also the image with the arm in holding the flower up. Would you hang that on your wall? It is good to show the scale though because we have smaller versions of that flower here.

Last edited by doctorxring; Jun 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
doctorxring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 3:51 AM   #5

I like the very natural lighting and colour your Sony/lens combo is producing.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:52 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
All I can say is its nice to see a full screen image for a change. It seems photo sites like you to post postage size pics that you are supposed make comments on the details which you cant see
Bynx:

The main problem is that the *vast* majority of readers can *not* see the images without scrolling.

In other words, they're only seeing one portion of the image at a time, scrolling up and down or right and left to see more of an image.

The average monitor resolution is *still* only 1024x768. Here are some stats from statcounter.com, monitoring statistics gathered from over 40 million web sites worldwide.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolutio...120-201220-bar

U.S. stats are a bit different. But, the vast majority of viewers would not have been able to see the OP's photos without scrolling:

http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolutio...120-201220-bar

We've found similar info viewing stats at Steve's. Most users do not have monitors capable of displaying the posted images without scrolling.

IOW, only about 1 out of 20 viewers would be able to see the posted photos without scrolling (they could not see the entire photo on screen).

It's nice if you're using a newer 1080p or higher resolution monitor. But, the vast majority or viewers do not use monitors with resolutions that high.

I've got multiple PCs in my home (including more than one laptop with 1366x768 resolution, and one with 1440 x 900 resolution, and they cannot see the photos posted without scrolling.

I've got one desktop with a 22" 1680x1050 resolution display (a very common resolution for that display size), and even it can't see the entire images without scrolling up and down if the menus for the Operating System and Browser are visible (task bar at the bottom, menu bars in the browser).

IOW, for most practical purposes, you'd need a 1080P display just to see the posted images unless you wanted to scroll up and down and/or right and left.

We debated the maximum allowed image size for a while not that long ago for attaching images by uploading them to our servers. We used to make it 640x480; and decided that because newer displays make it more practical to use 720 Pixels on the longest side, perhaps we should adopt that approach instead.

In the end, after much debate, we ended up setting the maximum allowed size for posted images to 1024 pixels on their longest side. The idea was that over time, more users would have higher resolution displays, even though even that (1024 pixels on the longest side) is *still* too large for most viewers.

But, we do not enforce that size when members embed photos hosted elsewhere.

Bottom Line... if you post larger images, the vast majority of members won't be able to see them without scrolling (right and left; and/or up and down).

That makes it more difficult to view images and comment on the more important aspects (composition, exposure, etc.), versus the more minor problems you may see by "pixel peeping" at higher resolutions, where the size is not going to be representative of typical print sizes.

Solution to accommodate users?

Keep the dimensions of embedded images to no larger than 1024 pixels on their largest side (which is still too large for many viewers; with 800 pixels being even better).

Then, just post a link to a larger image (versus embedding the large version in a forum post here).

That way (embedding an image that'no larger than 1024 pixels on it's longest side), a higher percentage of members will be able to view the entire image. That makes it easier to see any problems with composition and exposure. Then, viewers that have higher resolution displays (or viewers that want to examine finer detail) can click on a link to a larger version of it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:05 AM   #7

All these photos are just regular, boring, old snapshots.
There's really NOTHING to critique about them.

They lack good composition, they lack a real subject, and because of the overcast sky the colours look dull!
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote