Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:19 PM   #1

Default Sitting Alone

Sitting alone and much too young to be this deep in thought.
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:18 AM   #2

I'm not an expert critique when it comes in photo but black and white always capture my attention. Your photo is nice. The person sitting alone in the picture says a lot aside from having deep thought. It can be he is waiting for something.
mattseo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:45 AM   #3

I like the B&W and the curve of the shore. What undermines the photo for me is the cement structure across the stream. I don't know whether there is enough room below the reflection to crop the structure out, but it would be a much more compelling photo for me without that intrusion.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattseo24 View Post
The person sitting alone in the picture says a lot aside from having deep thought. It can be he is waiting for something.
No one can say for sure what he was thinking, there were a group of kids playing about 75 yards away from him. He was looking toward the kids when I took the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I like the B&W and the curve of the shore. What undermines the photo for me is the cement structure across the stream. I don't know whether there is enough room below the reflection to crop the structure out, but it would be a much more compelling photo for me without that intrusion.
Will have to play with the picture, the one shown was cropped by about 20% so there may be enough to work with to pull the wall out. My thought on leaving the wall in the picture was," life has hit a wall". Then again maybe my thinking was a little crazy after not getting away from the house and work for over a year.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:26 AM   #5

Lovely shot, lovely lines, nice exposure. I like this shot. it looks quite soft though. Im going to put that down to flickr though as i have no end of issues with flickr softening otherwise sharp images!
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 1:42 PM   #6
Super Moderator

A few things.

I think the composition could be strengthened by cropping both the top and bottom.

Then you need to pull back the highlights a bit, the blown out shirt isn't great.

Just a quick edit in Gimp to illustrate my thoughts.
Attached Images

Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Lovely shot, lovely lines, nice exposure. I like this shot. it looks quite soft though. Im going to put that down to flickr though as i have no end of issues with flickr softening otherwise sharp images!
Think the softness is from my being lazy and not using a photo hosting site. The photo was resized and compressed to fit "Steve's" board, I really should get use to using a hosting site. After all I do have both a Photobucket and Flicker account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
A few things.

I think the composition could be strengthened by cropping both the top and bottom.

Then you need to pull back the highlights a bit, the blown out shirt isn't great.

Just a quick edit in Gimp to illustrate my thoughts.
Very interesting take on the picture with your crop. I tend to keep everything in 8x10 format (old school I know) and don't think about cropping for composition as to cropping for a frame. My first thought on the crop was to make the boy seem small to the world. Your crop seems to give the same feeling of being small and lost in the world. More than one way to skin a cat or photo.

Thanks to all for the comments and help,
Craig