Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:35 PM   #1

Default Divine Intervention

Took this in st peters basilica last week. The light coming through the window highlighting the praying lady really struck a chord with me.

I've done some playing with contrast and a little on the exposure (as I shoot raw) but that's it.

The composition is ok and im relatively happy with it as it was a Spur of the moment hot, but I'm looking for critique on the processing to improve the image.

Thanks!

schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:27 PM   #2

It's a nice image- and the lighting looks fine to me.
A "portrait" orientation (and in 3/2 format) and a little further back to maintain the width with some more of the writing above might add more interest..?
And a little straightening...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:19 PM   #3

I really like streaming sun, and it fits this photo to a tee. However, the keystoning is quite irritating to my eye. The photo bespeaks the serenity of the Divine, and the keystoning works against that effect. As Simon mentioned, the shot needs a bit of straightening. At the same time, adjust the perspective to lose the keystoning and it will be a powerful picture.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:21 PM   #4

Its not so much keystoning as an actual tilt in the image. Straighten it up and its pretty slick.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback folks. I can see that it needs a tiny bit of straightening alright.

Im not sure what you mean by "keystoning". its not a term im familiar with. can you dumb it down a bit for me please?
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:26 PM   #6

When you point a camera upwards all the vertical lines start to lean in from the side towards the center. In your image the pillars on the right lean to the left while the left pillars lean to the right. Over a doorway the center stone that is not square but wider at top than bottom is the keystone that holds the door top from falling down. Thats where the term comes from.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote