Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:29 AM   #1

Default Senior Pics, What do you think

My first "Paying Gig" what do you think??

rennocneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:40 AM   #2

I really like the last one. The first one would be excellent with a different crop -- I don't much like cutting her legs off. It would be better either with her entire body (if this was a crop already) or cropping before her legs on the left edge. I don't care for the middle three, but I bet she loved them -- as an old parent, I prefer a young girl to not try too hard to look sophisticated. But then I'm not the customer.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:00 PM   #3

actaully the middle 3 are ones she demanded taking lol. Just trying to learn and grow as a photographer. thanks for the input. Certainly better than some ive gotten elsewhere stating they are but a small step above snapshots.
rennocneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:23 PM   #4

I'd agree with tclune on the first shot- and maybe a shallower DOF also possibly..?
The second is probably my fave' with regards composition...
The last might benefit from a tad more sharpness in the face- though I understand why some may favour the softer look...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I really like the last one. The first one would be excellent with a different crop -- I don't much like cutting her legs off. It would be better either with her entire body (if this was a crop already) or cropping before her legs on the left edge. I don't care for the middle three, but I bet she loved them -- as an old parent, I prefer a young girl to not try too hard to look sophisticated. But then I'm not the customer.

I agree that the first one is cropped or taken too tight. The others minus the last one have too much head room in my opinion.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:28 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

#1: Agree with the previous comments about cropping the legs. Also, the image could use some straightening (i.e. image tilts to the right).
#2: For a senior picture, I'd prefer to see the subject without the large wrap around sunglasses since it hides the eyes and a good part of the face. May work better for a fashion shoot.
#3: Good picture..again the setting and pose may be more suitable for a fashion shoot.
#4: Same as above. I also find the wire on the side of the door to be a bit distracting. Image leans to the right as well.
#5:Good facial expression, good bokeh, & catch light in the eye. I'd look to sharpen the eyes just a tad, but otherwise very nice. Best of the bunch.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:36 PM   #7

Default Comments

First, I admire anyone who takes on their first paid project. It's a frightening experience. So congratulations on finding the courage to do it.

Second, my comments are probably more my own preference. I'm not a pro. So my comments are more like what I'd say to myself had I shot these.

Here goes:
Photo #1 – I would have liked to have seen this shot landscape, rather than portrait. I think you would have gotten the rest of her legs in it. I would have also suggested a more shallow dof. The background is probably far away, but it is too sharp focus and diverts attention from the beautiful model.

Photo #2 – I think backing off and getting her feet in this shot, or cropping from just below her fingers on the right hand and tight to her back would make the subject pop more. Again, a more shallow DOF would make the lamps provide a nice contrast. You almost got the lamp too close to her face.

Photo #3 – I would like to see this with more ground at her feet. The height of the door above her head makes me think the door is the subject, not the girl.

Photo #4 – I like this proportioning much better.

Photo #5 is excellent. Great bokeh. Her eyes are in super sharp focus. Beautiful skin tones, great smile.

Faithfully yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:49 AM   #8

I only liked the 2nd and last one. The first thing I noticed about the others is that they seemed slightly crooked. Also I find the column next on her left to be distracting.

Hope that helps

“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence...”
~ Ansel Adams
dotmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:10 AM   #9

One more thing...

The doorway photos are OK but do not really say anything to me. I am not seeing any significant detail that come out at me. Her clothing is too dark and I am not seeing any significant contrast that add drama to the image.

Again, I like the 2nd as a composition but could have done without the glasses and slight lip pout. She's a very pretty girl and that would have soften that image.

“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence...”
~ Ansel Adams

Last edited by dotmundo; Oct 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM.
dotmundo is offline   Reply With Quote